Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

An insulin needle from the pharmacy is your best bet.

I don't think so.

Why use one marked in "units" when you want tenths?

It's not hard to find 1 ML syringes already marked in 10ths without having to do any conversions.

When you get one, use it only to draw up your dose, and then inject it into another syringe. Then it won't be contaminated or destroyed, and you won't be constantly switching needles​

Bear, not everyone wants to dose there dogs with that much.

Cloud asked for a needle small enough for .013 cc/ml not .1 cc/ml.

To dose .1 cc/ml or 1/10th of a cc/ml you can use a 1 cc/ml needle marked of in tenths but to dose smaller you need something smaller.
Insulin needles marked off in 1/2 unit scale is the smallest I have seen.
One unit is .01 cc/ml
100 units is 1 cc/ml

Its not hard math its just moving a decimal point.

Yes I use 1/10th for my dogs but I am not a vet so I am not going to try to sell that does to someone that feels better trying to match the hartguard dosing.

Thanks for the replies! I will see if I can get an insulin syringe from my pharmacy. I want to try and keep the dose close to the dose in Heartgaurd, I just don't want to give her more than she needs. Again, I feel very lucky to have stumbled across this thread. It's answered all of my questions. I will monitor Riley carefully after giving her the first dose, thanks again!

I've always dosed my dogs at 1/10 of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight, including my shelties, with no problem.

My vet was the one who told me to do this. He knows I do a lot of rescue, so he is always trying to help to me out financially. He still gets plenty rrom me, believe me!

He also said its still good past the "expiration" date for about a year. So thats good too.

I just wanted to add two quick things.
1. It does NOT kill dogs if they already have heartworms. That is not true. Vets test for HW first because using ivermectin kills the microfilarae which is how they test. If they are already killed, the tests always come up negative. That means that future tests after continuous ivermectin preventative can be a false negative. But they actually give it to positive dogs on a regular basis. It does not hurt the dog, it can just skew the test result, so they test first.
2. Ivemectin is actually used to treat mange in much higher doses than is used to prevent heartworms. It does have a more lenient dosage tolerance than the one-tenth cc per ten pounds. If you don't have that exact to the drop measurement, it won't kill your dog. They use several times that much in treating mange. Don't inject it, just give it by mouth. And do measure, but don't be paranoid about it. There is a great leeway in it's dosage before it becomes dangerous.

I use it on all of my dogs also I have malinois and gsd,they have been getting it for aoubt 10yrs.All the dog people I know use it pretty much all of us have several dogs if not a kennel of them and most of them are shepherds of some sort.I use the sheep drench from tsc.A bottle lasts for several years and I share it with friends for their dogs> I have 5 dogs.It is way cheaper than the preventative from the vet.We only go to the vet for weird life threatening ailments of rabie shots.I squirt it on their dog food and down the hatch it goes.

Sorry if someone already asked this ?, but why can't you give it to herding dogs?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom