Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

Quote:
OOOh....
tongue.png

Quote:
There is a genetic defect within the breeds that can allow ivermectin to cross the blood brain barrier. Ivermectin actually is a larger molecule, that never crosses that barrier in normal dogs. But in genetically weak animals, there is no filter to stop it, so it can cross the blood brain barrier and cause some neurological issues. At the low dosage used for HW prevention, it actually doesn't hurt them, but if you give too much it can kill them. Many vets use Heartguard for HW prevention in all dogs because the dose is so low it won't hurt the dog even if there are some symptoms of ivermectin toxicity. If that happens, it usually self-resovles within 24hrs. But when you are doing it yourself, there is always that risk.

We had a aussie that our vet prescribed Heart Guard for, and she had drooling, and some staggering, but no major issues. It self resolved within a few hours, and he said not to worry about it. She just walked a bit like she was dizzy for an hour after getting her monthly dose.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is a genetic defect within the breeds that can allow ivermectin to cross the blood brain barrier. Ivermectin actually is a larger molecule, that never crosses that barrier in normal dogs. But in genetically weak animals, there is no filter to stop it, so it can cross the blood brain barrier and cause some neurological issues. At the low dosage used for HW prevention, it actually doesn't hurt them, but if you give too much it can kill them. Many vets use Heartguard for HW prevention in all dogs because the dose is so low it won't hurt the dog even if there are some symptoms of ivermectin toxicity. If that happens, it usually self-resovles within 24hrs. But when you are doing it yourself, there is always that risk.

We had a aussie that our vet prescribed Heart Guard for, and she had drooling, and some staggering, but no major issues. It self resolved within a few hours, and he said not to worry about it. She just walked a bit like she was dizzy for an hour after getting her monthly dose.

UGH, WHY would the vet say not to worry about it? I'm sorry, but any vet who prescribes Heartgard for a herding dog is a moron. Ivermectin KILLS herding dogs, and all it takes is one time. My friend lost her Aussie after accidently ingesting some ivermectin. If you love your dog why take the risk?

I have aussies & use ivermectin for HW preventative - but I use a lower dosage than the 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. I use the 1:9 ratio which equals about 2.25 cc ivermectin (1%) to one oz (30 cc) of propylene glycol... then dosing at the rate of 1cc/44lbs orally - this is the dosage recommeded in the Merck Vet manual (can access online) & I only dose my dogs every three months. That being said - I think each person should research the options completely before self medicating their dog - also many of the vets will mix or prescribe this as an alternative HW prev if asked.
Now as to some of the comments I've read here - dog tested neg for HW after being on ivermectin.... this is not unexpected as ivermectin kills the microfilaria. You need to insure your vet uses the occult test not the original filter test. The occult test will show if ADULT HW are in the dog & not simply check for microfilaria. And yes, if a HW positive dog is being treated with ivermectin - care is needed & the dog is better off being restricted to light duty. I know a man who treated his positive hound & took her coon hunting the 2nd month of treating with ivermectin - she dropped dead while running. SO care is needed - but more so understand the process of what you are doing... with the internet there is no reason to take someone's word for it - trust only reliable sources - many of the vet schools present information via online that is available to anyone.
Use for mange & worms

- It is also true that ivermectin treats both demadectic & sarcoptic mange. A one time oral dose usually clears sarcoptic mange (occaisionally need to repeat in 2 weeks). Demadectic mange is harder to control due to the animals immunity issues - but many vets use ivermectin on an as needed basis for demadectic mange. AS FOR USING IVERMECTIN AS A DEWORMER fro intestinal worms - this is untrue.... Ivermectin does "slick" a dogs coat off & is excellent for external parasite control but does poorly for intestinal worms. It has a small affect for roundworms but does nothing for hooks or whips. I know a man who uses ivermectin for "deworming" & he only believed me once his dog almost died from anemia from hookworms - his vet siad it was one of the worst cases he'd ever seen! The dog looked great as far as coat & shiny fur but kept losing weight then developed diarrhea... i tried to tell him but he listened to an "ole man who has hunted dogs longer than you've been alive". So trust me - or better yet search ivermectin use for internal parasite control in dogs & see.
Ivermectin for ear mites - this is true & works great on DOGS & HORSES BUT WILL KILL CATS - you just massage a small amount in the infected ear & repeat in 2 weeks. I have even used it on rabbits - but it will kill a cat if the cat rubs its ear & then licks the ivermectin.
Adult heartworms live around 5 years before they die so if you use ivermectin as the preventative for a positive dog - you can reasonably be sure the adults are dead after 5 years.
The treatment at most vets is a arsenic derivative as mentioned by another post. The new treatment isn't as rough as the one used 5 years ago but still can affect the dogs liver & kidneys. The mass die off of adults can also cause (basically) a heart attack or lung collapse. I worked as a vet tech for 20 years & I have seen dogs succumb from either liver/kidney damage or heart attack or collapsed lungs. I have also treated 2 strays I took in at home with ivermectin. I contained the dogs the first several months then let them do whatever thay wanted. Never re-tested just kept them on the ivermectin orally every 3 months. One died last year - we had him 18 years (he was young adult when found) the other one lived 10 years with us.... so to me ivermectin is a great resource - but for goodness sakes insure you are correctly informed before using it.​

Last edited:
Quote:

UGH, WHY would the vet say not to worry about it? I'm sorry, but any vet who prescribes Heartgard for a herding dog is a moron. Ivermectin KILLS herding dogs, and all it takes is one time. My friend lost her Aussie after accidently ingesting some ivermectin. If you love your dog why take the risk?

That's just it. It does NOT kill them unless the dose is too large. Your friend must have had a large dose scripted for her dog. The usual dose is so small it just doesn't hurt them. Now if you have an animal near the weight cut off, and go to a larger dose, perhaps. But not at the low dose.
In our dog, we just switched to a different HW preventative after her three month HeartGuard package was used up. But it never would have killed her. It wasn't a high enough dosage. Ivermectin toxicity is self resolving in most cases. That's how they can use such a large dose in treating demodex on the four day series. They treat at increasing doses until ivermectin toxicity is reached or until the series is over. If toxicity symptoms occur they just stop treatment. It self resolves.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm a little confused.

Is Ivermectin safe for a Catahoula Leopard Dog, which is a herding dog?

If yes, then does the dog require a smaller dose, just to be sure it's safe?

Thanks. This is a wonderful thread!
smile.png

This is a wonderful thread. I have had a heartworm positive dog (still have her) that we got from the pound. We spent lots o' money curing her, but she has scar tissue under her skin and her mild allergies became severe allergies. She is around 12 now. I am definately going to get some ivermectin for my other two dogs. I'm tired of the vets around here anyway. I agree it's all about the money.

My mother bought a dog from a good breeder and her vet wouldn't accept the puppy shots given by the breeder because "the breeder could have mishandled the injection and is not to be trusted"

Ran into the same thing with my vet - the breeder shots were not good enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know anything about that breed. Do they descend from collies or aussie type breeds? It's a genetic defect that some of the animals within those breeds carry. You might try a smaller "half-dose" to see if there are any side effects before trying the whole dose of one-tenth cc per ten pounds. Even at the full dose, it usually doesn't really hurt the dog, but can show some neurological side effects in some animals who have the genetic defect. They can drool or walk like they are drunk a bit, but that is very rare. If it is related to those breeds, I would never go over the small onetenth cc per ten pound dose even if it has no side effects. Call your vet for details about the breed and dose if you are not sure.

Quote:
Puppies need to have repeated vaccines every 2 to 4 wks until they are 16wks old anyway, so it doesn't matter whether they trusted the breeder or not. The puppy would still need to have the boosters anyway until it was 4 mo old. The breeder's shots just kept it healthy for the two to four weeks following the shot itself. The dog's immune system is not fully mature until they get that last booster at 4mo. That's the only reason they give them every few weeks, just to keep them safe until their own immune system builds up enough maturity to form antibodies on that last dose. You don't give older dogs repeated shots ever couple of weeks because their immune systems are already mature, just the puppies until they are 4mo old.

Quote:
Puppies need to have repeated vaccines every 2 to 4 wks until they are 16wks old anyway, so it doesn't matter whether they trusted the breeder or not. The puppy would still need to have the boosters anyway until it was 4 mo old. The breeder's shots just kept it healthy for the two to four weeks following the shot itself. The dog's immune system is not fully mature until they get that last booster at 4mo. That's the only reason they give them every few weeks, just to keep them safe until their own immune system builds up enough maturity to form antibodies on that last dose. You don't give older dogs repeated shots ever couple of weeks because their immune systems are already mature, just the puppies until they are 4mo old.

Right - but we got our dog when he was 15 weeks and had to start allllll over. Bah. I understand that they have to do the rabies but not the other.

Back
Top Bottom