IVERMECTIN SHEEP DRENCH

Hi, I got the results of the stool check done at Cornell. They found cecal worms. No signs of gapeworms or coccidia. I will call around stores once they open to see if I can find Valbezen but have my doubts about finding it.I will get some online but I would like to start treatment right away. The two options that will be available to me right away is the sheep drench, which ivermectin is apparently not the way to go, and panacur solution which I can get from my vet. Last time I got this from the vet but he had only prescribed it for 3 days added to the water. I would like to know what is the full dose and treatment time for the panacur?
Thanks
Kathy

Hi, I got the results of the stool check done at Cornell. They found cecal worms. No signs of gapeworms or coccidia. I will call around stores once they open to see if I can find Valbezen but have my doubts about finding it.I will get some online but I would like to start treatment right away. The two options that will be available to me right away is the sheep drench, which ivermectin is apparently not the way to go, and panacur solution which I can get from my vet. Last time I got this from the vet but he had only prescribed it for 3 days added to the water. I would like to know what is the full dose and treatment time for the panacur?
Thanks
Kathy
Panacur suspension *is* exactly the same as Safeguard suspension, both have 10% fenbendazole, but for some stupid reason you need a prescription to get liquid Panacur, but not Safeguard, go figure, lol, so just go to Tractor Supply and get the 125ml Safeguard bottle in the goat and/or cattle section. If they don't have that, you can use Safeguard or Panacur horse paste, they're also 10% fenbendazole.

If you have any doubts just call your vet and ask.

This is what you you need:

1ml syringe for oral dosing

Safeguard for goats

Safeguard for cattle

Safeguard paste

Panacur paste

Valbazen for cattle and sheep

The Safeguard dose my vet recommended was 50mg/kg by mouth (.5ml per 2.2pounds) and repeeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy, that's a great help. Seems like I am fighting a losing battle, always something going on with these chickens. They are so lucky I love them more than chicken soup.
Kathy

Kathy, read through this thread. I used the paste and squeezed it into the hollow of raspberries which my chickens love and swallow whole.
wink.png

That sounds like a great idea with the berries. Never fed mine berries before so will have to test them out first. Pea size amount of safeguard sound about right?

I would use syringe to measure the exact amount, which is the same as the liquid, .5ml per 2.2 pounds. 1 gram of paste = 1 ml of liquid, both have 100mg of fenbendazole.

Sooo this is an old thread,but as the title suggests (and maybe I missed the answer here somewhere) does anyone know the dosage for giving chickens ivermectin sheep drench? I'm treating for scaly leg mites. Seems too drippy to use as pour-on? Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom