Ivermectin wait time after Valbazen?

OldPetune

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2019
Question #1: If I have given my chickens Valbazen, should I follow up with Ivermectin?

Question #2: If yes, how long should I wait after giving the first dose (or, second dose?) of Valbazen before giving the Ivermectin?

(I have two girls, one looks healthy/normal and the other had a dumpy booty last week and has been losing feathers at her behind and neck - otherwise, she looks okay... maybe a little lethargic. Any additional advise is welcome.)

Question #1: If I have given my chickens Valbazen, should I follow up with Ivermectin?

Question #2: If yes, how long should I wait after giving the first dose (or, second dose?) of Valbazen before giving the Ivermectin?

(I have two girls, one looks healthy/normal and the other had a dumpy booty last week and has been losing feathers at her behind and neck - otherwise, she looks okay... maybe a little lethargic. Any additional advise is welcome.)
What are you treating - Worms?

Valbazen is a good wormer, so I see no reason to use Ivermectin to "follow up". What dosage of Valbazen did you use and did you repeat dosing in 10days?

You have 1 hen that had a dumpy booty? What was that - a poopy bum? She's losing feathers as well, is she molting? How old is she?

Photos of your girls and their poop are always welcome - sometimes seeing what concerns you is helpful to us.

Valbazen is all you need like @Wyorp Rock stated. Your birds are probably in molt this time of the year. It's normal and they're irritable because of it. I'm not sure what you mean by dumpy booty. You can provide your birds with Poultry Nutri Drench to help get them through molt and after worming them. Follow the directions on the label.

What are you treating - Worms?

Valbazen is a good wormer, so I see no reason to use Ivermectin to "follow up". What dosage of Valbazen did you use and did you repeat dosing in 10days?

You have 1 hen that had a dumpy booty? What was that - a poopy bum? She's losing feathers as well, is she molting? How old is she?

Photos of your girls and their poop are always welcome - sometimes seeing what concerns you is helpful to us.

Hopefully the pictures are clear enough... One of the girls has lost butt and neck feathers (she's the one I'm worried about - she had a lot of poop stuck in her fluff, so we thought she was pulling feathers out because of that - we cut the rest of her poop feathers off)... the poop looks pretty normal to me.

Attachments

• 20191129_150023.jpg
    20191129_150023.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191129_145951~2.jpg
    20191129_145951~2.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191129_150013.jpg
    20191129_150013.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 9
Valbazen is all you need like @Wyorp Rock stated. Your birds are probably in molt this time of the year. It's normal and they're irritable because of it. I'm not sure what you mean by dumpy booty. You can provide your birds with Poultry Nutri Drench to help get them through molt and after worming them. Follow the directions on the label.

Thanks, hopefully it's just moulting (only one of them is doing it though). I've been giving Brewers yeast, garlic, and some kelp powder.

Attachments

• 20191129_150013.jpg
    20191129_150013.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 8
We just trimmed a bum on our RIR based on advice we got on here. I was worried she might be sick, etc. since she was the only one, we trimmed her bum, and now, she seems absolutely fine. Normal poohs, normal appetite, laying well, done molting, etc. just needed a trim I guess?

IMO, valbazen will treat for more species of worms than ivermectin so there should be no need to use both if the former was administered correctly. The problem may not be worms at all.
I once had almost an entire flock with really messy vent areas and considered treating for worms. I decided instead to make sure the problem was worms before treating. After checking with more than 20 vets, I finally found one who would read a fecal sample on the flock. They didn't have worms but a heavy load of clostridial bacteria. He treated with tetracycline which solved the problem. I would just have wasted time and money treating for worms.

Hopefully the pictures are clear enough... One of the girls has lost butt and neck feathers (she's the one I'm worried about - she had a lot of poop stuck in her fluff, so we thought she was pulling feathers out because of that - we cut the rest of her poop feathers off)... the poop looks pretty normal to me.
Looks like she's molting to me - I see a lot of pin feathers around the neck, legs, etc. They lose their tail feathers too.
Sometimes they don't feel really well during molt - most of my BR's don't. I usually give them a direct dose of poultry vitamins (Poultry Cell) 2 times a week. Maybe add extra protein a couple of times a week too, but I already feed a 20% feed so just a bit. Treats are kept to a minimum.
upload_2019-11-29_20-20-53.png

Back
Top Bottom