Ivermectin, safegaurd, roundworms, and how long untill all the worms are expelled?

Rhyara

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Mn
I keep seeing posts and comments about how ivermectin will kill roundworms. I recently treated my flock for lice with ivermectin (twice as directed)
Their eggs have been safe since the 1st of this month, and just saw a dead worm in some poop this morning.
I have never seen one in person before, and I was pretty shocked that one would be showing up now.
How long before they should be all out? This one was obviously dead, but I figured if they were all killed wouldn't they have been expelled quickly after treatment?
Should I re-treat or use Safegaurd instead? I picked up both paste and liquid form. Which would you recommend and what are the proper doses and frequency of treatment? (Egg withdrawal is 10 days after last treatment?) Thank you.
20230914_172143.jpg

20230914_103408.jpg

I keep seeing posts and comments about how ivermectin will kill roundworms. I recently treated my flock for lice with ivermectin (twice as directed)
Their eggs have been safe since the 1st of this month, and just saw a dead worm in some poop this morning.
I have never seen one in person before, and I was pretty shocked that one would be showing up now.
How long before they should be all out? This one was obviously dead, but I figured if they were all killed wouldn't they have been expelled quickly after treatment?
Should I re-treat or use Safegaurd instead? I picked up both paste and liquid form. Which would you recommend and what are the proper doses and frequency of treatment? (Egg withdrawal is 10 days after last treatment?) Thank you.
View attachment 3635742
View attachment 3635723
To treat Roundworms only, Fenbendazole (Safeguard) dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Both of the products you have pictured are the same active ingredient, they are just in different "form" - paste or liquid. You'd draw either one up into your needleless syringe to get your correct dosing.
Withdrawal period is 14 days after the last dose.

Here's how to give meds orally: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Thank you! I'll probably try to sneak the paste into some treats for each of them, we have some rescue girls that are too squiggly for me to handle just yet.

I heard you could put the liquid in their water, is that an option you know about?
And how long it should take for all the worms to come out?
(I'm wondering if treatment is actually necessary if the ivermectin could have killed the worms and this one just made its way oit of her system, or if she could have gotten infected and had one grow to that size in the past 14 days.)

I will just add this, you don,t always see the dead worms expelled. Often they are absorbed by the intestines. When you do see them, that can mean that your hen has a heavy load of worms. Round worms are resistant in many places to ivermectin, but can killed by it. Best way to know if you got them all, is to have a fecal done. It can be hard to find vets to do it for chickens, though, so the easiest thing may just be to use the safegard. If the egg withdrawal part is a concern, you would probably be fine waiting a month or two until their winter break in laying, to treat them. You have already lightened her load, as evidenced by the expelled worm.

Thank you! I'll probably try to sneak the paste into some treats for each of them, we have some rescue girls that are too squiggly for me to handle just yet.

I heard you could put the liquid in their water, is that an option you know about?
And how long it should take for all the worms to come out?
(I'm wondering if treatment is actually necessary if the ivermectin could have killed the worms and this one just made its way oit of her system, or if she could have gotten infected and had one grow to that size in the past 14 days.)
Safeguard Liquid settles out of the water.

To ensure that the hens are getting the correct dosing, it's best to dose each one individually.
Giving it to each one in a treat may just work out fine.

If it doesn't, then wait until they are roosting, go out early and grab each hen one by one and direct oral dose them.

Thank you guys. I was a bit concerned about the withdrawal after having to toss out 5 dozen eggs 🥲 but my main concern was medicating them when it may not have been necessary. We can deal with some store bought eggs for a bit. I've started their treatment, hope they feel better soon ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom