Can I use ivermectin and safeguard?

I only have Corid and Ivermectin on hand. I don't have any Safeguard at the moment. I'm trying to save some $, as well as the fact that I'm treating 72 chickens. Ivermectin was pretty easy to dose that many, and the Corid goes in the water. It's scary to me to put liquid in their mouths, and chance them aspirating it (getting it right 72 times, twice over). My thought is, if I treat with either (ivermectin and/or Corid), and the poo problems clear up, I would know that was the problem. And if it didn't clear up, I could then buy the next product. 🤷‍♀️

It would be helpful to post a picture of the poop with the worms. I am not seeing any pictures.
Did you see the other thread? I posted a bunch of poo pictures there? I'm not sure how to link that thread here. It's under "Using Safeguard de-wormer for chickens, I need help"

It's Durvet topical solution Pour-On for Cattle 5mg ivermectin per ml
I was using about 1 drop per pound. If the chicken was say, about 2.5 lbs, I'd use 2-3 drops depending on if they felt heavier or lighter than the 2.5 lbs. If they felt like 2.5 or higher I went with 3 drops.
Before dosing them, I took several chickens and roosters out and weighed them while standing on my human scale. I know that's not super accurate, but it gave me a good idea. It measures in points of a pound. Once I got a good idea of what weights felt like what, I'd just pick them up and dose accordingly. I did it in the night with my husband holding the light for me, and backing me up on how many drops if I was questionable on someone.

Here are a couple of posts with dosing for the ivermectin, the first also contains a link to another article on why it's not an effective wormer for poultry. Safeguard would still be a better choice. Also ivermectin can be toxic in too high of dose in poultry, so care should be taken not to give too much. Measure your dose, don't use drops, with drops it's too easy to either under dose or over dose. Safeguard (fenbendazole) is very safe in poultry.
If you had a yellow foamy dropping with small worms in it then it sounds like it's probably cecal worms (a yellow, foamy dropping is likely a cecal dropping), but no one can tell you for sure without a fecal test.
If you use Safeguard you will do two doses 10 days apart. You can divide the flock into groups, by breed or color (what ever works for you) and do one group a day until you've gotten them all. You can also do a group and band them (inexpensive zip ties work), so you know who has been dosed, until you get them all. Then when you do the second dose, remove the zip ties as you dose, when they are all off, you know you got them all the second time.
I lock them in the coop at dark, go out early in the morning before the sun is up, take them off the roost one at a time and dose them, turn them into the run. When the coop is empty, I'm done. I do about 35 birds, takes me about an hour give or take. For birds that freak out or are hard to hold, wrap them in a bath towel like a burrito to hold their wings.
The pour on ivermectin dose is 0.1 ml per pound or 0.5 ml per five pounds.
The injectable ivermectin 0.05 ml per pound or 0.25 ml per five pounds.

However, as others have already said, it's not an effective poultry dewormer. Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-studies-and-references.1053454/
There are also many threads and posts from people that have lost birds from worms after using ivermectin, so I choose not to use it for worms.

I use it for treating lice and scaley leg mites.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ivermectin-experiment.1114731/page-2

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...l-dose-for-5-mg-per-ml.1606795/#post-27373594

Back
Top Bottom