Ivermectin Experiment

How are you administering it? Orally?
I will mix the injectable in water, let the water settle, then tube the medicated water, which is orally.
wink.png
There are many references that say one can use 1% ivermectin in water, but I have a funny feeling that it's not water soluble, so this experiment will show if it is or isn't.

Last edited:
I will mix the injectable in water, let the water settle, then tube the medicated water, which is orally.
wink.png
There are many references that say one can use 1% ivermectin in water, but I have a funny feeling that it's not water soluble, so this experiment will show if it is or isn't.
I still need to do this.

I've used Ivermectin, and it's been the injectable product, which I dose either orally or on the skin, at one ml. per about 80 pounds body weight. I used a TB syringe to dose it effectively on each bird. My notes talk about 0.2 mg. per kg. for most birds, so about 0.1 mg. per pound body weight.
It kills most parasites, which is wonderful, but isn't approved in the USA for chickens, not so wonderful.
Mary

I've used Ivermectin, and it's been the injectable product, which I dose either orally or on the skin, at one ml. per about 80 pounds body weight. I used a TB syringe to dose it effectively on each bird. My notes talk about 0.2 mg. per kg. for most birds, so about 0.1 mg. per pound body weight.
It kills most parasites, which is wonderful, but isn't approved in the USA for chickens, not so wonderful.
Mary
I use the higher dose because the first time I tried it at the 0.2 mg/kg amount it had zero effect on lice. :idunno I guess I should try it again and see exactly how much it takes to get rid of lice.

Since starting this thread I have treated several with lice and found ivermectin to be 100% effective on all bird lice and scaley leg mites.
How often do you treat birds with ivermectin for lice and mites? How soon did you notice lice and or mites back on a bird that was previously treated with ivermectin?

There are a ton of variables when it comes to bird and bugs. How often a bird is able to dust bathe, the weather, certain birds are just more susceptible to infestations while others nearby barely have any. Some birds can die quickly from a mite infestation while others seem totally fine

Back
Top Bottom