Ivermectin Experiment

For the birds that get treated twice a year are you saying they’ve been treated and then they had lice and or mites again within 6 months?
For lice yes. Let mites no, leg mites seem to be a once in a lifetime thing.

How often do you spray yours with fipronil?

For lice yes. Let mites no, leg mites seem to be a once in a lifetime thing.

How often do you spray yours with fipronil?
End of winter and right before they molt at the very end of summer or early fall. I let half of my pens go for 18 months though to see if I would have any problems. Since I started using fipronil I haven’t seen any lice or mites in many years. I cull birds routinely and skin the feathers out too. So I’ve really checked them. I still spray all the birds though twice a year too.

I’m not saying ivermectin and permethrin doesn’t work. I’m just saying they don’t work as good as they used to. The fact that they have to be used more often is proof.
Some of it is definitely the individual bird. I spray my peacock too. He’s still alive and annoying my roosters. ;)

End of winter and right before they molt at the very end of summer or early fall. I let half of my pens go for 18 months though to see if I would have any problems. Since I started using fipronil I haven’t seen any lice or mites in many years. I cull birds routinely and skin the feathers out too. So I’ve really checked them. I still spray all the birds though twice a year too.

I don't want to send this down the fipronil path since it is meant to be an ivermectin thread. But @roosterhavoc , how do you dose them with fipronil? Drop between the shoulder blades/wings like on a dog? Can of spray fipronil all over their back, etc...?

I don't want to send this down the fipronil path since it is meant to be an ivermectin thread. But @roosterhavoc , how do you dose them with fipronil? Drop between the shoulder blades/wings like on a dog? Can of spray fipronil all over their back, etc...?
One spritz under each wing on the skin, and one spritz just above the vent on the skin. You don’t need a full spray just enough to wet the skin.
Frontline spray is what I use. I have over 100 birds and one bottle will last even me a couple years.

I would mention that NOTHING will have enough residual action for six to twelve months with one application on the birds, but they do get reinfected. I've had a miserable time this year with mites, because of the house wrens that infest my coop area, and fly in at every opportunity. Despise them!
Mary

I would mention that NOTHING will have enough residual action for six to twelve months with one application on the birds, but they do get reinfected. I've had a miserable time this year with mites, because of the house wrens that infest my coop area, and fly in at every opportunity. Despise them!
Mary
I've had hundreds of those wrens in my coop and run this year, especially during the snow. So they are the culprits!

Back
Top Bottom