IYE, what breed(s) do you find to be the most personable and interactive?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I know everybody's expectations with their chickens are different. Some people are very hands off. I prefer to be very hands on and interactive with my flock. I like to hold them and I like for my kids to be able to do so as well. I have a wide range of breeds that I'm experimenting with right now. I'm just wondering what you have found to be the most personable/interactive breeds during your experiences with chickens.
The bird currently topping my list are my pita pintas, which are not very common or well known, nor do they have an APA standard of perfection. I can pick my rooster right up and no issues at all. He's great. I do have other breeds that are "known" to be more docile, but their personalities are not really what I envisioned them to be.
Anyways, looking for all of your wonderful experiences and advice! Thank you in advance!
ETA: Only looking for LF, not bantams.

IME ISA browns have been my most friendly birds. I brought two adult hens home that had never been handled super thoroughly and they started to follow me around just like the others I’d had since pullets. I don’t really pick my hens up but they are the main culprits if I’m going to fall over a bird.
My Australorp mix and Orpington mix chicks have been the most friendly chicks I’ve raised. I can’t do anything in the coop without having one of them sitting on my shoulder, under my feet, sitting in my lap, etc.
I have a Brahma hen that was hand raised (not by me) and she is also very interested in seeing what I’m doing. I always feel like she’s judging me when she stomps over to got ‘hmmm. Hmmm.’ at me. Her chicks are also very calm around people and interested in what’s happening.

IME ISA browns have been my most friendly birds. I brought two adult hens home that had never been handled super thoroughly and they started to follow me around just like the others I’d had since pullets. I don’t really pick my hens up but they are the main culprits if I’m going to fall over a bird.
My Australorp mix and Orpington mix chicks have been the most friendly chicks I’ve raised. I can’t do anything in the coop without having one of them sitting on my shoulder, under my feet, sitting in my lap, etc.
I have a Brahma hen that was hand raised (not by me) and she is also very interested in seeing what I’m doing. I always feel like she’s judging me when she stomps over to got ‘hmmm. Hmmm.’ at me. Her chicks are also very calm around people and interested in what’s happening.
I have never had problems with buff orpingtons, super kind and gentle, and the most curious and lap friendly chickens.

The two batches of ameracauna chicks that I've gotten have been the friendliest out of the shell (other chicks caught up to them but took more effort). Very different sources for the two batches, but both had an innate tendency towards contentment when around humans. (In comparison, my EE's have certainly been friendly but not cuddly).

Less difference between the LF I feel, greater difference going from LF to bantam. I've trained a variety of adult birds to jump onto my (lowered) arm on command and sit on my arm while I walk around, and 2 of 11+ were LF (one of whom was hardly a success), the rest were bantams or bantams crosses.

When I add a new batch of chicks, it's always 5 or 6 different breeds. Since I raise them all the same, I have to think it really is breed characteristics when they turn out wildly different. My experience is that the most aloof, opposite of what you're asking about is Barnevelder. Working my way up to interactive Creme Legbar and EE's in the middle; Welsummer, RIR interactive and Orpington's and Maran's at the top of annoyingly interactive and personable, lol.

The two batches of ameracauna chicks that I've gotten have been the friendliest out of the shell (other chicks caught up to them but took more effort). Very different sources for the two batches, but both had an innate tendency towards contentment when around humans. (In comparison, my EE's have certainly been friendly but not cuddly).

Less difference between the LF I feel, greater difference going from LF to bantam. I've trained a variety of adult birds to jump onto my (lowered) arm on command and sit on my arm while I walk around, and 2 of 11+ were LF (one of whom was hardly a success), the rest were bantams or bantams crosses.

I think it more depends on where the chickens from not just the breed. My blue ameraucana from a hatchery was skittish, but 4 out of 5 of my black and lavender ameraucanas originally from John Blehm line are/were extremely curious, friendly and cuddly while the other one is a little shy but still friendly. One of the black ameraucanas acts like a puppy. When she sees me, her eyes bright up and she runs around to try to get my attention so she can play or cuddle with me. She even plays fetch! Not quite, but she loves to check whatever I throw away and sometimes will bring it back. This is her favorite game.

IME I find my Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Salmon Faverolle, Polish, and Russian Orloff to be the most friendly and docile :) I have young kids and we are all very hands on from day 1 and these breeds consistently rise to the top of friendliness and interest in being with you.

Here are some of them :)

Attachments

• 1D5F972D-782E-4DBA-AF6D-6D5786FC957B.jpeg
    1D5F972D-782E-4DBA-AF6D-6D5786FC957B.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 26FF529C-CB81-441F-9D73-63AAB927AF7D.jpeg
    26FF529C-CB81-441F-9D73-63AAB927AF7D.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8E3C5196-114D-463A-A6F9-CBE4B46AD4B6.jpeg
    8E3C5196-114D-463A-A6F9-CBE4B46AD4B6.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 45B3BF7E-92A3-4E07-9559-05A04C3DE1F1.jpeg