IYE, what breed(s) do you find to be the most personable and interactive?

We raise our chicks with a lot of interaction and play time, hand feeding, sitting and observing. Top friendliest for us were:
Easter egger
Australorp
Cochin
Orpington
Sagitta
Mosaic

Least friendly were the white face black Spanish, who were friendly as chicks but the flightiest noisiest breed we've ever had. Funny and intelligent but not great pets. and one of the Easter eggers we have is named Spooky because especially as a pullet she was reactive and flighty.

All of my chickens are friendly. We handle them a lot as chicks and feed them wet mash from our hands to encourage interaction.
That said, my friendliest are:
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer
Barred Rock
Orpington

My Brahma, Marans, Easter Eggers and Faverolles will jump on laps to rest & say hello but don’t like to be petted.

I am getting a Cochin, Naked Neck Dorking & Bielefelder next year because of good things people have said about personality. Hopefully they’ll live up to expectations!

Naked Necks.
Tell me more! This is the one I am most excited about! 😊 & my son picked the Cochin

All of my chickens are friendly. We handle them a lot as chicks and feed them wet mash from our hands to encourage interaction.
That said, my friendliest are:
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer
Barred Rock
Orpington

My Brahma, Marans, Easter Eggers and Faverolles will jump on laps to rest & say hello but don’t like to be petted.

I am getting a Cochin, Naked Neck Dorking & Bielefelder next year because of good things people have said about personality. Hopefully they’ll live up to expectations!

Tell me more! This is the one I am most excited about! 😊 & my son picked the Cochin
Oh I had wonderful barred rock hens when I was a kid, consider this a vouch for their personalities as well. We had one named Pickle because she was always getting stuck.inside the gravity feed can, in a tree, the live trap, between a rabbit hutch and the wall in the rabbit barn. Always in a pickle.

Seramas, Porcelain d’Anvers, and Mille fleur d’Uccle are my friendliest and most affectionate. Total cuddle bugs. My Porcelain rooster loves his cheek tufts and little beard rubbed. He stands like a tiny statue…. really adorable. The Silkie and Silkie Brights are wonderful too, although a few young roosters are a bit ornery. My Australorps, Ameraucanas, RIR, and Easter Eggers are always very friendly and never mind being picked up and pet. Bantam Cochins must be added to my list as well.

Naked Necks are just the coolest birds ever. They lay great, and if into it make pretty good meat birds. Very personable and calm. Good for heat of course and subzero weather. Well below freezing out they were the first out of the coop into the snow even when I had Jersey Giant's.

My Ameraucanas and LF Phoenix are my best interactive birds. They talk to me, they come and sit at my feet when sit in the patio chair and come up on my lap when I ask.
20220930_145949.jpg
20221027_165124.jpg

I think my speckled Sussex is the most attentive, she follows me around so closely that I have to be careful when I move not to step on her or trip over her but she is not fond of being held. My blue Australorps are friendly to me and most of the other chickens, and they love to be sitting on the roosting bars while I pet them. My leghorns are, not surprisingly, aloof but will come to the roosting bar to get some pets if they see the australorps there…lol! Happy New Year to one and all!:frow

Back
Top Bottom