Janoel 12

It's only day six but I couldn't help myself but to candle and see if I could see anything. All eggs but one had the red veins running through. The one I could not tell. Every once in awhile I get an egg that has some little rough spots on the outside of a brown egg. The rough spots are usually a purplish color. When I candled that egg it looked like this

Is that a shell abnormality or could it be from bacteria or what? Should I toss it? The purple spots in the pic are the dark spots you see. But there are those light spot all over and I can't tell if it's fertile or not.

Last edited:
It's only day six but I couldn't help myself but to candle and see if I could see anything. All eggs but one had the red veins running through. The one I could not tell. Every once in awhile I get an egg that has some little rough spots on the outside of a brown egg. The rough spots are usually a purplish color. When I candled that egg it looked like this

Is that a shell abnormality or could it be from bacteria or what? Should I toss it? The purple spots in the pic are the dark spots you see. But there are those light spot all over and I can't tell if it's fertile or not.
The light spots are the shell's pores. Some eggs are more porous than others. Really porous eggs are not the best for incubating, but all eggs have an amount of porousness. The little balls or rough patches, I believe, are just from the egg formation of that chicken. I'm not versed well enough in egg science, but I'd assume a mineral build up maybe calcium, during egg (shell) production, I'm sure someone will correct me...lol I've had a couple like that.
The egg does look like a clear though, but I do not remove any of mine until day 10 so I am more sure. (Unless it has a blood ring or smells, then I remove it before.)

Thanks! As this is my first time and I've never candled a chicken egg before. I have candles lovebird eggs but it has been a long time ago. I noticed that all the veins cover most of the one side of the egg not on one end or the other. Is that the way it is supposed to be. I kind of worry because this egg turner just very slowly moves from one end to the other and theoretically they are rolled as they lay on their side. I worry that they are so slow they might just scoot and not roll. They definitely roll when I push them quickly.

Thanks! As this is my first time and I've never candled a chicken egg before. I have candles lovebird eggs but it has been a long time ago. I noticed that all the veins cover most of the one side of the egg not on one end or the other. Is that the way it is supposed to be. I kind of worry because this egg turner just very slowly moves from one end to the other and theoretically they are rolled as they lay on their side. I worry that they are so slow they might just scoot and not roll. They definitely roll when I push them quickly.
smile.png
Egg turners are slow. That is so the insides don't get jarred or shaken. I have to be honest and say, I don't pay that much attention to where the veins in my eggs are. As long as I am seeing veining I am happy....lol. If you are concerned as to wether your eggs are actually turning, mark a side with an x and the other side with an o, then you can tell if the are really turning.

:)   Egg turners are slow. That is so the insides don't get jarred or shaken. I have to be honest and say, I don't pay that much attention to where the veins in my eggs are. As long as I am seeing veining I am happy....lol.  If you are concerned as to wether your eggs are actually turning, mark a side with an x and the other side with an o, then you can tell if the are really turning.

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Well the porous egg was not developing and another egg had a blood ring so I tossed those today. The other seven all look to be developing okay. I read about marking the air sack witha pencil so I did that today. I thought the air sacks seemed kind of small so I'm going to try to watch the humidity closer. Temp seems very consistent.

I had a my first broody gal a few weeks back and was excited because I preferred to hatch that way and let her do all the work. But as I read up on BYC about broodies I decided I needed an incubator in case my girl quit with some expensive eggs under her. She ended up quitting before that point. Anyway I ordered the Janoel 12. It really only holds about 9 decent sized chickens eggs. I decided I just had to try it out
1f609.png
and used some of my own eggs. They will be a barnyard mix as I don't keep the breeds separate at this point. The instructions that came with it are pretty incomprehensible but between the pics and YouTube it wasn't too hard to figure out what I needed to know. I plugged it in and it maintained a pretty consistent temp that was close to what I had it set at, 38*C. I didn't have a hygrometer but I got one that was a set of thermometer and hygrometer at the pet store. They look kind of cheap but it was $11.00 for them or a digital for $40.00. If they are accurate the temp is staying just below 100*F and about 50% humidity. As one person had mentioned in a thread I only added a small amount of water. Not the 100ml it called for. I just put in a couple of tablespoons the first time and then another tablespoon the next day. It seems to keep the humidity with little water unless I open it to check a couple of times. I started the eggs on 1/30/15, just 2days ago. I'll try to keep this up to date as things progress.

Out of curiosity where did you find that kind of incubator? I haven't seen them anywhere but have heard the name and seen youtube videos of them. I did a search and it seems they are sold outside the usa??

Back
Top Bottom