Janoel 12

I'm a little anxious about my little incubator. We've had an ice storm. If our electricity goes out on day 17-18 I will not be happy. I'm a nurse and had to work today and tomorrow. Hospital has put us in a hotel down the road, so I don't even get to be home to check on them. I told my daughter that if the electricity goes out to wrap the incubator in blankets without opening it and if it doesn't come back on in 45 min she needed to wear the eggs(but only if she wanted them to live) LOL

I'm a little anxious about my little incubator. We've had an ice storm. If our electricity goes out on day 17-18 I will not be happy. I'm a nurse and had to work today and tomorrow. Hospital has put us in a hotel down the road, so I don't even get to be home to check on them. I told my daughter that if the electricity goes out to wrap the incubator in blankets without opening it and if it doesn't come back on in 45 min she needed to wear the eggs(but only if she wanted them to live) LOL
fl.gif
you don't loose electricity!

I left with no water the last 3 days. One hygrometer said around 10%-15%, the other was higher. I tried to do the wet salt test on the second hygrometer the other day and it showed low. If I did the test right on the digital one then I would have had around 30% humidity. Some of the air cells grew more than the others, but they all grew. Some of the eggs appear more full than others but it is harder to see through the blue eggs. All of them were pretty dark. I gave them an extra half day before I increased the humidity, which was this morning. 19 days is at noon today. I'm anxious. Sure hope some hatch. If this goes well I think next time that I will weigh eggs and do a totally dry hatch until lock down.

I left with no water the last 3 days. One hygrometer said around 10%-15%, the other was higher. I tried to do the wet salt test on the second hygrometer the other day and it showed low. If I did the test right on the digital one then I would have had around 30% humidity. Some of the air cells grew more than the others, but they all grew. Some of the eggs appear more full than others but it is harder to see through the blue eggs. All of them were pretty dark. I gave them an extra half day before I increased the humidity, which was this morning. 19 days is at noon today. I'm anxious. Sure hope some hatch. If this goes well I think next time that I will weigh eggs and do a totally dry hatch until lock down.
I liked the dry hatch much better. It was less stressful- for me anyways. I monitor my air cells and in the beginning I was a little worried about how good my judgement was judging the size of the air cell compared to the "graph", but I soon grew confident and after that I really felt so much better about the hatch and had an awesome hatch. Hope yours goes good, and you see lots of little ones soon!

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking, after seeing these air cells and then seeing how things turn out I will having something to compare to. And not worrying about the humidity certainly would make things less stressful. I just don't know how those broodies know how to manage it.
1f633.png

While trying to discover if I had elevated the humidity correctly I realized that the temp was several degrees lower in the incubator. The problem being that when you take out the turner you are also supposed to take out the tray it sits on and put in another tray that sits lower in the incubator. The temp is apparently lower when further away from the heater. I have read that some think you should lower the temp at lock down and others don't. I could be wrong but I think my temp
May have been slightly lower to start with so I am thinking the hatch may be late and I was concerned about them being even cooler. I decided to put the original tray back in and just leave the turner tray out. Once they start to do some action I may lower them again if it looks like they need the room. If there was a way to raise the setting over 38*C this would not be an issue, but apparently you can lower the temp but not raise it.

Back
Top Bottom