Japanese Bantams

lynxs1981

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Hi everyone. I'm new to Japanese bantams and am unsure of their gender. I've seen both roos and hens with combs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm about 100% this is a roo.
P7150306.jpg

Unsure about this one.
P7150305.jpg

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't too sure because the second one doesn't have the tall sharp tips like the first one does.

Both boys. The girls do get large combs and wattles but not until after their first clutch. The long centre feathers are a sign of dominance, the top boy will be dominant over the bottom one. They will eventually grow on boy number two but they won't be as long as boy number 1 (until boy number 1 goes to freezer camp).

Freezer camp, i like that. No, if he misbehaves he will go to my neighbor. He's the one who got me into all this anyways. He gave me a gorgeous buff cochin to get started.

They look a little bit younger than five months, but obv. chickens might grow at different rates. Are they starting to crow?

We eat all our cockerels at five months, unless we have a special one to keep for breeding. They are very tasty & not at all tough, just the right size for a barbeque with ribs and a couple of small fish. There's only three of us so a big shop bought chicken is way too much for us.

And as if that wasn't good enough, any left over bones and meat, wel... the other chickens just love to pick over them. They don't know (or they do but they just don't care).

Well they're close to 5 months, somewhere in between 4-5. The one in the first picture is attempting to crow, funniest thing I ever heard. The second one is quite a bit smaller than him. Good eating? Once i'm sure it's two roos I may have a little snack.

Back
Top Bottom