Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Pics
Here's a few young birds from my silver coturnix.

I'll post more later...it takes forever to upload from my phone.

I have some quail that came out of one of my strains where females have no chest spots.
Wondering if anyone knows what these are. They are lighter than their full colour counterparts and have interesting feather patterns with a much clearer horizontal striping. They are definitely girls, now laying.

Last edited:
I have some quail that came out of one of my strains where females have no chest spots.
Wondering if anyone knows what these are. They are lighter than their full colour counterparts and have interesting feather patterns with a much clearer horizontal striping. They are definitely girls, now laying.

You always have such Beautiful Birds! I have a few Silvers coloring up that look somewhat similar. I wish I could help you solve the mystery, but I have no idea....just that they look like a strain of Silver. Heck, I'm still sorting out my new silvers...some have me baffled!

What color are the original parents of these quail?

Its a funny variety because it seems to change markings more than the actual colour of the bird which makes it seem lighter over all but not really all that different to the others. I haven't seen a variety/dilution that removes chest spots and leaves a clean chest without changing the background colour.

The parents - the male is the same variety, in the pharaoh base, and the mothers (theres possibly 2) are either a silver or a pharaoh.
I have bred 5 in this variety all up, 3 male and 2 female (4 brown, 1 silver). The females had no face mask. I thought they were males but the silver was so nice i decided to use for breeding, and turned out to be a girl!

Its got to be recessive, as they show up so rarely in my birds.
I am currently crossing both girls back to their sire. I will incubate in a few weeks.

I've got a couple white and golden quail that i haven't really seen before. They were white with a few brown patches on their heads up to around 3 weeks or so then started getting the golden/Italian colouring

I believe they are females so will use a jumbo italian roo and hope the chicks come out with a little more gold/speckles.

Golden tixedos. Generated by crossing white x golden.

I saw the pictures of the golden tuxes posted by the OP and they look almost identical other than the markings on the head which are very dark brown (look lighter in the pics i posted) on mine but i guess there will be variations.

Can't say I'm really a fan of it, it would have been much nicer if it looked like the normal tuxedo but with gold

Source: http://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t9805-brown-tuxedo-and-golden-tuxedo-coturnix-quail

I found this picture online and it looks really nice, if i was to cross my golden tux hens with a golden roo would i get something along those lines or will the chicks be golden?

Does anyone know what types of coturnix produce the silver/blue/grey color that seems to be so rare?

Hello Lobzi, The silver color is a mutation wherein one must have a coturnix with the silver gene. They are now available in the USA thanks to James Marie Farms in Louisiana. He has sold many eggs throughout the country. Now, other breeders are offering eggs for sale.

Here is a little tutorial, I have gleaned from various sources, but mostly from Perry Schofield in Canada who as I understand had the first mutation of the Silver gene from a Canadian University breeding program.

Breeding Silver Coturnix Quail

Perry Schofield: Silver eggs do not always produce Silver chicks.

In my (PS) mixed color Coturnix I have three trio of normal (Brown Pharoah) hens with Silver males. Will produce 50% Silver and 50% normal.

I (PS) have 2 trio of Tibetan hens with Silver males. Will produce a Charcoal chick for every 5 or 6 chicks that hatch.

I (PS) then have two trios of all Silver which will produce mostly Silver. (90-95% Silver)

Does that answer your question?

Gary

Back
Top Bottom