Jerk of a drake

Well I tried letting the drake out with ophelia (the one he is being mean to) so far he has just sat outside the coop where the other two ladies are locked up crying. Ophelia is just playing in the lake nearby. This plan doesnt seem like it's going to work.

So if anyone is still following here is the update. It's now mid august and we are still struggling. We have tried everything we can think of but he still wants to attack ophelia. If it's up to him he wont let her either in or out of the coop or eat or have water. Right now we have a large pen for him during the day and he isnt allowed in the coop at night. He still immediately goes after her when we are putting them up at night. He attacks her and bites her back and feathers. We are completely out of ideas.

Here is the latest set up. His girlfriend is in with him today.

Attachments

• 20200813_141055.jpg
    20200813_141055.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Drake jail 110%! My plan for my drakes for next season when they’re all mature is a completely separate area for them. As it stands right now everyone but 1 is too young to care. The one dude that’s the problem maker is kicked out in the yard right now and my older female and the babies are all in the pen during the day. The drake gets locked in jail in the coop at night. He can see them all throughout the day but can’t be a jerk. Especially with my older girl recovering from a foot injury. 🙄

If you want to keep him this is what you have to do. It’s not enjoyable having to lock one up for almost half a year but I so always look forward to the almost other half of not having to do it. When thing start slowing down come mid to late Sept and he’s still being a jerk to Ophelia you may have to make some tough decisions. Or keep him In permanent drake jail.

So if anyone is still following here is the update. It's now mid august and we are still struggling. We have tried everything we can think of but he still wants to attack ophelia. If it's up to him he wont let her either in or out of the coop or eat or have water. Right now we have a large pen for him during the day and he isnt allowed in the coop at night. He still immediately goes after her when we are putting them up at night. He attacks her and bites her back and feathers. We are completely out of ideas.

Outside of mating season, where does Ophelia sit in the pecking order? Have they always been together? I've read that drakes will subordinate hens they feel are a threat and eject her from the flock much like they would another drake as a show of dominance.

Is Ophelia the dominant hen perhaps? Do you show her extra attention?

I really feel like drake jail might be your best option until his hormones calm down and it would allow the hen to stay with the flock.

I have drake jail too ! In fact, we have two seperate areas one for ladies and babies, the other for the batchelors.

Our #1 stud drake (Mr Buff) will often watch his ladies (who don't give two stuffs that he isnt there) from the seperating fence and try and tell them what to do.

In his mind, mornings are for ladies, so by lunch time, he's off with his best bro (Mr Walter) doing boy stuff.

Essentially, we only put a drake with the ladies if we want ducklings.

As long as they can see each other and chat, its not so bad.

As for the lake (nice set up btw !) i'd alternate who has access - am sure they'll get into the new routine.

Back
Top Bottom