Jersey Giant lovers

Pics
I just wanted to share pictures of my Jersey Giant, Ursula. I got her from the Meyer Hatchery chick bin so I wasn't sure what breed I'd end up with, but so far I'm glad I got the Jersey Giant! She's friendly and will jump up on my lap and let me pet her. She also will fly onto my arm on command. She's confident enough to not be at the bottom of the pecking order, but she is also still kind to her sister who she grew up with, a Salmon Faverolles who is certainly the very bottom of the order. She started laying eggs 5 days ago and has laid 4/5 days (edit: make that 5/6 days because she laid an egg shortly after I posted this). I also love her feathers with their green sheen. They are the softest chicken feathers I have ever felt. She has this really funny voice too, which adds some comedy to my flock.

What a cool chicken! I'd go with this breed again if given the choice. 👍

View attachment 3423420View attachment 3423419View attachment 3423418
View attachment 3423421
Are you sure she's a JG? Her legs are so thin and delicate next to that BR. I'd assume she was a Black Australorp, especially seeing as how she's not as large as I'd expect a JG to be, even coming from a hatchery.

Are you sure she's a JG? Her legs are so thin and delicate next to that BR. I'd assume she was a Black Australorp, especially seeing as how she's not as large as I'd expect a JG to be, even coming from a hatchery.
Quite certain! Some of the pictures are older, and she is also only 6 months right now. She's not completely fully grown. I know she is not an Australorp because the bottoms of her feet are yellow. There's no other breed from Meyer that she matches up with besides JG.

This was her with the flock the other day (she is in back). You can tell her legs, comb, and wattles have grown a little since the other pictures and her body is starting to fill out. I can tell she still has room to grow though because her comb is only like half size.
signal-2023-03-06-12-33-36-700.jpg

Last edited:
Quite certain! Some of the pictures are older, and she is also only 6 months right now. She's not completely fully grown. I know she is not an Australorp because the bottoms of her feet are yellow. There's no other breed from Meyer that she matches up with besides JG.

This was her with the flock the other day (she is in back). You can tell her legs, comb, and wattles have grown a little since the other pictures and her body is starting to fill out. I can tell she still has room to grow though because her comb is only like half size.
View attachment 3423567
Such a tiny little hiney. lol I love her with her Salmon Faverolles sister, though.

Such a tiny little hiney. lol I love her with her Salmon Faverolles sister, though.
Haha thank you. Yeah, they are buddies. They grew up together. They started in the brooder with 7 Cornish X chicks, and then were the only two left when the CX went outside. They got pretty close.

I'm really enjoying the JG though. May order more in the future when I can expand my flock.

Hey folks! Getting a few black jersey giants from hoovers hatchery soon. I live in Canada and not alot of breeders around here. I have ordered pullets (not allowed roos) but hoovers has sent me roos in the past. Now the question, is there any way to tell hens vs roos in day old BJG?

Hey folks! Getting a few black jersey giants from hoovers hatchery soon. I live in Canada and not alot of breeders around here. I have ordered pullets (not allowed roos) but hoovers has sent me roos in the past. Now the question, is there any way to tell hens vs roos in day old BJG?
Not that I know of. You can get an idea around 2 weeks old. My experience, and could be the lines I have, they can look iffy until 4-6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom