Jersey Giant Quit laying

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
My 1 year 3 month old Jersey Giant quit laying. She was laying sporadically until May 23rd was her last egg. What can I do to help her?
20210624_103434[1].jpg

Do you have other birds that are still laying?
Do you free range?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Some birds are just not prolific layers, and may take breaks from laying.
Hi aart. Yes she is with another hen (same age) who has faithfully laid every day.
Yes I free range.
They eat Layer feed, oyster shells, fruit, some vegetables (they're picky)
Is 1 month normal without laying at her age? As I mentioned the past few months she's laid an egg every 3 weeks.

Yes I free range.
First thought is she's laying out in range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

They eat Layer feed, oyster shells, fruit, some vegetables (they're picky)
If confining her doesn't do the trick...
Might want to cut out everything but the layer feed and the OS.

Is 1 month normal without laying at her age? As I mentioned the past few months she's laid an egg every 3 weeks.
Not really, tho some breeds that are prolific layers might take some time off.
Can always check her pelvic poiints:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes she is a Jersey Giant; very big and super big eggs.
As far as I know, JG don't have reddish feathers around their necks.
SO she might be a mix.
Where did you get her?

First thought is she's laying out in range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

If confining her doesn't do the trick...
Might want to cut out everything but the layer feed and the OS.

Not really, tho some breeds that are prolific layers might take some time off.
Can always check her pelvic poiints:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

As far as I know, JG don't have reddish feathers around their necks.
SO she might be a mix.
Where did you get he
I should clarify 'free range'. My two girls live in a chicken tractor with attached nesting box. Their is a trap door that they can eat on the grass. We move them every 3 days.
Whenever I let them roam the property neither laid outside and went back to their tractor to lay in nest.
My JG started her irregular egg laying shortly after moving them to the tractor (to make more room in the coop for my new brood). Does that have any bearing?

Okay I could put her just on layer feed. Her eggs before showed lack of calcium, we started the OS and no eggs since?

Yes my JS is from mixed breeds: Ameraucana, Orphington, Wyandotte, and JG.

Thank you aart for the link, very informative! I will be busy giving her an exam :)

Back
Top Bottom