Jersey Giants

Everyone, Thanks for your feed back. I have a new flock of Jersey Giants and was just wondering when I can expect to at least see some pullet eggs. I have some barred rock that started laying 20 weeks to the day and have not stopped yet.

Quote:
She is a beauty!!!! I think she's 30 weeks good!

Thank you! She's a real sweetheart and very bold.
smile.png

I must say though, she is the only JG I will own. She eats a lot of food and the egg thing hasn't been so great so far. If she didn't follow me all over and tug at my heartstrings, she'd already be gone.
wink.png

Quote:
mine too she is a year old now ..absolutely beautiful and I love her personality ...in fact all three of my big hens (BO and Barred Rock) are not even acting like they want to do anything but roost at night in the nest boxes

the other smaller hens are doing fine (Ameracauna, Golden Spangled, Barred rock cross and the leghorns of course)

everyone moved in a month ago and seem to be very comfortable happy and healthy

the man I bought them from says they were all good layers but how he could tell with them all free ranging is beyond me
tongue.png

anything I can do to inspire them? there are plastic eggs in all the nest boxes

Last edited:
I just got 2 black Jersey Giant pullets last Sunday. The breeder said they were 5 months old and getting ready to lay. He was correct. This afternoon one of the girls laid a tiny brown egg. It is funny because these 2 pullets are as big as my year old EE and RIR and they are also as big as my 2 year old black Austrolorp. All my other hens lay extra large eggs and so this tiny egg took me by surprise!

Don't worry the eggs will catch up to their size. Jerseys are not full grown til they are 18months old, so your girl has a way to go. My jerseys that are 2 years old give me extra large to jumbo eggs.

Back
Top Bottom