Jewelry Made from Chicken Feathers!

JAK Rabbitry

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Freedom, PA - Pittsburgh area
Yeah so I've heard....the new craze. And I do mean people have gone completely crazy.
I always just admired how beautiful some of my EE roosters were! and for the longest time I of course didn't have a use for so many roosters that I got when I ordered/hatched chicks, and they were butchered.
Now what a waste it seems! Back in January of this year I started using feathers from our birds to make earrings, and it has since really taken off! I use all kinds of natural items, a lot of which I find on my farm and recycle. Some items I order from other sources....but I love working with feathers, leather, and bones! I do really like bones...

So I wondered if any chicken lovers out there may care to browse the shop, or i'm open to making you something custom from your own birds! (or just bring your ideas to light)

This shop has mostly always been my hobby, but now i'm looking to promote a little more or even find a boutique that would be willing to do regular business, and being that we are now house/farm hunting and chicken food now costs more than my own groceries....every little bit helps
smile.png

I am also welcoming suggestions for pieces, or means of advertisement!

Happy Halloween!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JAKRabbitry
Use coupon code BYCFRIEND for 15% off

I have been considering trying to make something with feathers, but not as fancy as yours.
lol.png
One of my chickens has a feather that corkscrews, and I can not wait for him to molt! I have thought about trying to make a quill pen, too.

I just look it up on youtube!
wink.png
Clipping the feather would work, I missed the obvious there!
roll.png
It is one of his primary feathers on his wing, so I was going to leave it until he molted and hope it was clean or at least cleanable.

The wing feathers are a little more tricky....I have a problem not ruffling up the surrounding feathers and clipping close enough to the skin without damaging the skin. I had used scissors originally but I think some short nosed wire cutters might work a lot better. Assuming you have an average sized chicken.

If you're making a quill pen....do you need the tip in tact?

I pretty much just buy my dyed feathers now, I did try dyeing them myself, but it's a huge hassle for the amount of feathers I have to dye versus how many I use.
A lot of people use RIT, a fabric dye. I had purchased and started with cherry red and fuchsia to start....and all my feathers were coming out this same cherry wine color. I couldn't get the feathers 100% the color I was trying for.

But I heard FLYDYE works super well. It's actually made for feathers and fur, and if you google it, you should find the place that sells it. It looks like its just made at this one place in....New Jersey? New Hampshire? Somewhere over that way....

Thank you so much!
I actually had 100% positive feedback until yesterday. Some idiot was mad that I held her to her sales policy and asked for a refund after she didn't ship out my item after 2 weeks and then left me negative feedback without explanation. And Etsy refuses to do anything about it. I'm hella angry.

Oh my gosh those earrings are amazing!! I haven't worn earrings in forever since gold seems to be the only metal that doesn't irritate the skin. Haven't tried surgical steel but your etsy is making me consider...

Back
Top Bottom