Jubilee Orpington cross to white orpington

honorkt

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
hello folks,

im about to get a white hen orpington.. as i have jubilee rooster,,,

if i cross them what color i might get...

its rarely to find Orpington where i live so trying to buy that white

im about to get a white hen orpington.. as i have jubilee rooster,,,

if i cross them what color i might get...

its rarely to find Orpington where i live so trying to buy that white

You might get white chicks with bits of black on them, or you might get chicks of some other color. I can't really predict what the other color might be, due to the genetics involved.

More details, ignore if you are not interested:

There are two main ways (genetically speaking) to make a white chicken, and I am not sure which one the White Orpington will have.

One way is with the gene called Dominant White, which turns black into white, on a chicken that otherwise has the genes to be completely black. Crossing that kind of white hen to a Jubilee rooster would give white chicks, with some bits of black showing through (Dominant White is a bit leaky when you cross to something else), and probably some red/gold/brown leakage as well (especially in the shoulders of sons and the breasts of daughters.)

The other way to make a white chicken is with the gene called recessive white. If a chicken has two copies of this gene they have completely white feathers, no matter what other genes they have for feather color. If you cross a recessive white chicken with a Jubilee rooster, you could get chicks of almost any color. The chicks inherit recessive white from the white mother, but not from the Jubilee father, so they do not look white. But there is no real way to predict what other color genes they inherit from their mother (because her white was hiding all the effects of the other genes she has).

A white chicken can also have both kinds of white (Dominant White and recessive white), in which case you might get just white chicks from the cross with Jubilee (caused by Dominant White), or you might get some white chicks and some other-colored chicks (some with Dominant White look white, some without it look other colors, no good way to predict the other colors).

You might get white chicks with bits of black on them, or you might get chicks of some other color. I can't really predict what the other color might be, due to the genetics involved.

There are two main ways (genetically speaking) to make a white chicken, and I am not sure which one the White Orpington will have.

One way is with the gene called Dominant White, which turns black into white, on a chicken that otherwise has the genes to be completely black. Crossing that kind of white hen to a Jubilee rooster would give white chicks, with some bits of black showing through (Dominant White is a bit leaky when you cross to something else), and probably some red/gold/brown leakage as well (especially in the shoulders of sons and the breasts of daughters.)

The other way to make a white chicken is with the gene called recessive white. If a chicken has two copies of this gene they have completely white feathers, no matter what other genes they have for feather color. If you cross a recessive white chicken with a Jubilee rooster, you could get chicks of almost any color. The chicks inherit recessive white from the white mother, but not from the Jubilee father, so they do not look white. But there is no real way to predict what other color genes they inherit from their mother (because her white was hiding all the effects of the other genes she has).

A white chicken can also have both kinds of white (Dominant White and recessive white), in which case you might get just white chicks from the cross with Jubilee (caused by Dominant White), or you might get some white chicks and some other-colored chicks (some with Dominant White look white, some without it look other colors, no good way to predict the other colors).
very well explained....
thank you im noobie into chicken field and your details just rock me well...

what about buff Orp. rooster cross white and jubilee rooster cross buff....

as many research i read i knew the 2nd generating will showing molting..

what about buff Orp. rooster cross white and jubilee rooster cross buff....
For breeding the next generation of course it will matter which rooster you used, but for predicting the appearance of the first generation crossed chicks it makes almost no difference: chicks should either be white with black bits and some red/gold leakage (if the white is Dominant White), or a complete mystery (if the white is recessive white.)

For crosses with those two roosters, with most kinds of hens, you will generally see more black and darker/richer shades of red on chicks that have the jubilee father, which chicks with the Buff father will show less black and their shades of red/gold will be lighter. The black & red will probably be arranged differently on the chicks as well. All of that can be hidden by black or white, or increased by some other genes the hen may contribute.

as many research i read i knew the 2nd generating will showing molting..
Yes, the mottling gene is recessive, so the first generation chicks will not show it but will carry the gene, and some of their chicks might show mottling (depending on which genes the other parent has.)

Breeding one carrier of mottling to one that shows mottling should give 50% chicks that show mottling, 50% that carry it.

Breeding two chickens that carry mottling should give 25% mottled chicks, 50% chicks that carry mottling, 25% that do not show or carry mottling (pure for not-mottled.)

Chicks that are white may have the genes to be mottled as well, but mottling is not exactly obvious on a white chicken. For either kind of white that you may be working with, crossing them to each other will yield at least some white chicks (1/4 of chicks if it's recessive white, 3/4 of chicks if it's Dominant White, could be higher yet if both genes are present in the original White Orpington.)

If the first cross chicks show Dominant White, and you breed them back to the Jubilee, you will get about 1/2 white chicks and 1/2 not-white chicks. About half of each group will show mottling and half will not. So 1/4 of the total would be not-white and also show mottling.

Interesting. Does white breed true? As in, a white chicken crossed with a white chicken will create white offspring? Or will there be other colors mixed in, like how blue does not breed true?

Interesting. Does white breed true? As in, a white chicken crossed with a white chicken will create white offspring? Or will there be other colors mixed in, like how blue does not breed true?
Recessive white will breed true.

Dominant White can breed true (White Leghorns, generation after generation). But Dominant White does not always breed true (if each parent has one copy of the Dominant White gene, about 1/4 of chicks will have no copies of that gene, so they will show other colors. California White chickens are a hybrid that would be this way.)

If you breed a chicken with Dominant White to a chicken with recessive white, you may get white chicks in the first generation (they all get Dominant White), but the next generation will probably have some other colors appear. Or if the Dominant White parent only had 1 copy of the gene, you will probably get colored chicks in the first generation of crossing the two types.

There are a few other genetic combinations that can also create white chickens (less common, will not apply to OP's Orpingtons), and mixing them with other white chickens can also produce some colored chicks in either the first or second generation.

what about if i cross white G. Jersey rooster to jubilee orpington.. as color you explain it very well...

however any idea how the chicks will look??? would there body be as jersey or orp.

thank you

what about if i cross white G. Jersey rooster to jubilee orpington.. as color you explain it very well...
White Jersey Giant should be recessive white, with the other genes being the same as a Black Jersey Giant. So chicks should be black, carrying recessive white, mottling, and whatever set of genes make the Orpington be multi-colored instead of black all over. Chicks may have some leakage of other colors as they grow up, rather than being completely black all over.

however any idea how the chicks will look??? would there body be as jersey or orp.
The body type will probably be in between what the parents have.

Some of the color genes have very clear effects from just a small number of genes, but most of the body type/size/shape traits are more complicated genetically, presumably controlled by a larger number of genes interacting in various ways. "In between the parents" is the most common result for many such traits (body size, body shape, rate of growth, egg size, egg shape, laying ability, broodiness, shade of brown eggshell, etc.)

White Jersey Giant should be recessive white, with the other genes being the same as a Black Jersey Giant. So chicks should be black, carrying recessive white, mottling, and whatever set of genes make the Orpington be multi-colored instead of black all over. Chicks may have some leakage of other colors as they grow up, rather than being completely black all over.

The body type will probably be in between what the parents have.

Some of the color genes have very clear effects from just a small number of genes, but most of the body type/size/shape traits are more complicated genetically, presumably controlled by a larger number of genes interacting in various ways. "In between the parents" is the most common result for many such traits (body size, body shape, rate of growth, egg size, egg shape, laying ability, broodiness, shade of brown eggshell, etc.)
full details and straight answer

thank you

Back
Top Bottom