Jubilee Orpington VS Speckled Sussex what is the difference?

Ariel188

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
Southern CA
It seem to me in my research that both the Jubilee Orpington and Speckled Sussex look very simlar AND have very similar personalities.
Can anyone elaborate on what they think?
Are there difference in looks/personality between the two breeds? Thank you!

If you're just going for a backyard flock with visual variety, they're going to look pretty much the same. Speckled, straight combed, white legged birds. Save yourself the $$$ of the Jubilee and just go with the speckled Sussex.

my Jubilee were just caged next to the sussexx at a show, very obvious differences. I dont think they look similar at all. at least those ones didnt, orps are round, these sussexx were not, tails were longer and not the same shape. longer backs, less round, these ones had brown shafting on their feathers, not sure if thats good or bad for that breed but no shafting in the jubilee. orps are very round and fluffy, the sussexx were not, am no expert but I could tell the difference between them right away when caged next to each other.
OK thank you so much for the observations. The color and patten was pretty similar thou or no?

From photos it looks like they have very similar color and patterns. My goal is to have a different looking flock so I am only getting 1 of each breed I like, I was going to get both the Jubilee Orpington and Speckled Sussex but am thinking they may look too similar in my flock of about 10-12 girls.

my Jubilee were just caged next to the sussexx at a show, very obvious differences. I dont think they look similar at all. at least those ones didnt, orps are round, these sussexx were not, tails were longer and not the same shape. longer backs, less round, these ones had brown shafting on their feathers, not sure if thats good or bad for that breed but no shafting in the jubilee. orps are very round and fluffy, the sussexx were not, am no expert but I could tell the difference between them right away when caged next to each other.

yes they have the same pattern, just one is called speckled and the other jubilee, I thought the orps had bigger feathers also and it make the pattern look slightly different.

If you're just going for a backyard flock with visual variety, they're going to look pretty much the same. Speckled, straight combed, white legged birds. Save yourself the $$$ of the Jubilee and just go with the speckled Sussex.

the Jubilee are not the expensive these days, there are enough of them around that not everyone is charging the big bucks for them.

the Jubilee are not the expensive these days, there are enough of them around that not everyone is charging the big bucks for them.

Average $10 an egg. But I found a deal, I can get 12 + for $100 shipped so I was thinking about it............

thats not a bad price, I have seen a few still at 200 a dozen but I wouldnt even buy them for that. have seen chicks as low as 35 per chick. am sure you know what it took to import them here from the UK, that is why some of the prices on the new colors are as high as they are. I looked up some of the pricing for getting a bird here... bout fell off my chair..the quarantine charges are what kill you!

Back
Top Bottom