Judging and choosing best quality lavender Orpington chicks

TRALALARA1

Songster
Mar 3, 2022
Oklahoma
I’ve never had Orpingtons so I’m new to their breed standards other than fluffy, round features. I have 26 chicks and I plan on keeping a few of the best ones. What do I look for in very young Orpingtons? Size? Shade? Beak and leg colors? I’m just not sure if there are parts that will change as they age. I’ll be selling most of them soon.
IMG_4170.jpeg

The biggest issue with Lavender Orpingtons is the feather shredding gene that makes their feathers look ratty and messy.
You can't see signs of it until they start growing their feathers.
Is it possible you can hold off selling any for a while?
26 is a good number to choose a handful from, but if you sell soon you miss out on the benefits to be choosy.

As for other traits, body mass is important in Orpingtons. If you look at the chicks from above and a bit behind, some will look more square and fat than others. Some will also have bigger feet.
Both of those qualities could weight the selection towards males, so keep an eye on other gender markers.

You also want to look for floof. It shows when they are feathered.
I think I've seen some little chicks display more down floof than others when compared closely, but it's hard to be certain what they will turn out like.
Look at the underskirt (around the upper thighs and navel) for chicks that have more pouf than others.

The biggest issue with Lavender Orpingtons is the feather shredding gene that makes their feathers look ratty and messy.
You can't see signs of it until they start growing their feathers.
Is it possible you can hold off selling any for a while?
26 is a good number to choose a handful from, but if you sell soon you miss out on the benefits to be choosy.

As for other traits, body mass is important in Orpingtons. If you look at the chicks from above and a bit behind, some will look more square and fat than others. Some will also have bigger feet.
Both of those qualities could weight the selection towards males, so keep an eye on other gender markers.

You also want to look for floof. It shows when they are feathered.
I think I've seen some little chicks display more down floof than others when compared closely, but it's hard to be certain what they will turn out like.
Look at the underskirt (around the upper thighs and navel) for chicks that have more pouf than others.
Thank you. I have noticed some differences in build and in floof. I notice it in their heads and faces. Some are more narrow. I can keep them as long as I want but will need to do some rearranging of pens. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom