Jumbo Brown Quail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sorry Alex...this is totally untrue! 14 ounce coturnix are few and far between. I can gin-up their weight by light denial, feed them stuff that's bad for them, and generally create a big fat unhealthy bird, for the sake of creating a big fat bird. Under normal production methods, even the most highly developed "JUMBO" strains of coturnix will never reach 14 oz. at 7 weeks of age. Anyone that tells you they do, doesn't own a $5 set of scales, and a 2 cent paper lunch bag to weigh them in.

Hey Joe, Maybe you should try SELECTIVE BREEDING for a few years before you come on here telling the people that know what they are talking about is wrong! a 14oz bird on 28% protein is getting pretty common in some of the better breeders! I have heard that Alex is one of these breeders that has taken the time to breed for size instead of numbers..

Mine is getting into the 10-12 oz range on a regular basis with some hens reaching the 14 oz weight by week 8. I have eggs coming from those jumbos Alex is raising to add new blood and more size to mine. I'll gladly post pics when they top out if you'd like!

Quote:
Sorry Alex...this is totally untrue! 14 ounce coturnix are few and far between. I can gin-up their weight by light denial, feed them stuff that's bad for them, and generally create a big fat unhealthy bird, for the sake of creating a big fat bird. Under normal production methods, even the most highly developed "JUMBO" strains of coturnix will never reach 14 oz. at 7 weeks of age. Anyone that tells you they do, doesn't own a $5 set of scales, and a 2 cent paper lunch bag to weigh them in.

Hey Joe, Maybe you should try SELECTIVE BREEDING for a few years before you come on here telling the people that know what they are talking about is wrong! a 14oz bird on 28% protein is getting pretty common in some of the better breeders! I have heard that Alex is one of these breeders that has taken the time to breed for size instead of numbers..

Mine is getting into the 10-12 oz range on a regular basis with some hens reaching the 14 oz weight by week 8. I have eggs coming from those jumbos Alex is raising to add new blood and more size to mine. I'll gladly post pics when they top out if you'd like!

Well, then send me some of your eggs. I pay $3-$5/dozen+S&H for mythological 14+oz. birds. I will raise them under my normal conditions, feeding nasty evil 30% protein GBS from hatch to dispatch. Then on week 8, I will weigh them all in, and if 82%+ are 13-14 oz. I will come back here and EAT MY WORDS. Like a dish of bad crow.

I would really love to be proven wrong here, but I fear I will be as disappointed as I was when I discovered that coturnix don't grow to 16 oz.

"SELECTIVE BREEDING"? I have most likely eaten more inferior breeding stock, than the "Selective breeders" have selectively bread. It's a long way from 10-14 oz. for a coturnix, but I will put my money where my mouth is. If you can send eggs that hatch out large birds (82%+ 12+ oz. birds at 8 weeks), then I will surrender.

Coturnix genetics is on my side, so I will spot you 1 oz.
wink.png

So are there not 16 oz birds out there ? Do birds not get bigger by breeding the bigger females to the bigger males?
Chris

Quote:
16 oz. coturnix exist just like Santa, and the Easter bunny! They are real you know
wink.png

They don't get 16 oz., but darn fine birds to raise!

Ok, so I won't weigh my birds anymore, just say they are Jumbo...I am not lying. Why breed jumbos if they don't have the size? Now like I said there is a range with these guys. There will be a pipsqueak that comes out of an egg, and then a nice one in another. All of the birds have a use somehow. I am happy if a bird is 12 ounces and hefty!

I have been telling folks the diet I feed my birds. Straight GBS doesn't cut it....they need more and I am willing to provide all the needs.

Quote:
try shutting their daylight down to 4-8 hrs/day do not let them sexually mature/breed raise the protein levels even higher then 30% their livers will look much like Foie gras but they WILL be big birds
sad.png

Quote:

Alex has posted pics of her birds on scales and Joe still doesn't believe it. Personally, I think he just likes to get people riled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom