chickenchicklady

Songster
Apr 23, 2019
I ordered Jumbo Cornish X and Cornish game hens. 12 of each. I asked hatchery to separate them or mark them so I could tell the difference, they did not. Will I be able to tell when they are older? I know Game hens are usually ready before Cornish X. That’s why I’m a bit worried. I don’t want to take the Jumbo before they’re ready.

Also, can I feed meat bird raiser to both the Game hens and the Jumbo Cornish X? Or just the Jumbo Cornish X?

They’re so cute!

Attachments

• 21501259-6105-48DF-8B93-983A5D6E81ED.jpeg
    21501259-6105-48DF-8B93-983A5D6E81ED.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 63
I'd be really curious to see the hatchery's description of the two types.
What hatchery is it?
In reality, Cornish X are a cross between genetically selected White Cornish and White Plymouth Rocks. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a breed called Cornish Game Hens.
The 'Jumbo' moniker is more like braggadocio. They are all jumbo.
Cornish game hens in the grocery store are Cornish X that are butchered between 3 and 4 weeks of age.
Your two groups may be exactly the same thing.
I could be wrong but if someone can prove me wrong, I'd appreciate the education.

And you can feed them all meat bird starter.

You may want to read through this for more enlightenment.
http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Public-Relations-Images/ATTRAMeatChickenBreeds.pdf

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at the descriptions again, and I guess You are correct. I didn’t realize they were the same thing. I ordered them while I was having trouble sleeping at 3 in the morning and must not have registered the descriptions in my mind 🤣
I feel like a fool. Lol. Anyways, thanks for the answers. 😊

I'd be really curious to see the hatchery's description of the two types.
What hatchery is it?
In reality, Cornish X are a cross between genetically selected White Cornish and White Plymouth Rocks. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a breed called Cornish Game Hens.
The 'Jumbo' moniker is more like braggadocio. They are all jumbo.
Cornish game hens in the grocery store are Cornish X that are butchered between 3 and 4 weeks of age.
Your two groups may be exactly the same thing.
I could be wrong but if someone can prove me wrong, I'd appreciate the education.

And you can feed them all meat bird starter.

You may want to read through this for more enlightenment.
http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Public-Relations-Images/ATTRAMeatChickenBreeds.pdf

I just went back and looked at the descriptions again, and I guess You are correct. I didn’t realize they were the same thing. I ordered them while I was having trouble sleeping at 3 in the morning and must not have registered the descriptions in my mind 🤣
I feel like a fool. Lol. Anyways, thanks for the answers. 😊
Please don't feel like a fool. I've been doing this for over 60 years and continue to learn. The one thing I know is that I'll never know everything a chicken knows but I keep trying.

I just started on my small homestead journey and with chickens, so I’m still learning. But I’m excited! It’s my first time raising meat birds and I’m so excited!

Please don't feel like a fool. I've been doing this for over 60 years and continue to learn. The one thing I know is that I'll never know everything a chicken knows but I keep trying.

Yes! I have embraced it! I had chickens last year before I had to give them away due to housing circumstance for our family, and I butchered two before I decided Just to give them away, so I kinda know what I’m doing. And I’ll have my husbands help so it will hopefully go quicker.
Have you embraced processing your own meat birds? Any experience?

Your Cornish Game Hens are probably the females of the Cornish-X. You might have 12 male and 12 female? The pros process the hens very young, like the previous poster said. We don't have to, you can keep them longer because they do not crow. They do not get as big as fast as the males, so sometimes you can get the hens for a lower cost. They still grow very fast, a lot faster than a regular hen. Some prefer the nice fat layer a hen puts on.

Back
Top Bottom