Feb 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

I just rescued a Jumbo Pekin drake from a not so great situation. I believe he is about a year old and 9 pounds or so.

He has some sort of injury to his leg(s) that we have not yet been able to fully evaluate since moving him in. This is leaving him unable to walk much at all.

The previous owner said that they just noticed he was walking funny, but clearly under exaggerated the severity. He said that he believed he sprained his foot and it hasn’t healed properly. Regardless of what the truth is and what happened to this poor duck, it has obviously impacted his quality of life. Though the owner, “just noticed”, he looks to have been in this poor condition for some time. He lacks muscle and it has impacted his overall confirmation

We will be evaluating the state of his legs once he is settled to not traumatize or hurt him further. We hope to bring him to the animal hospital soon.

We are currently treating a foot injury that our lavender Orpington got. Our vet gave me extra antibiotics for foot injuries in poultry should a problem arise again, and we hope to get him started on the same treatment in the morning. We gave him a nice bath to clean off the caked on feces and help soothe his pain and will be isolating him.

Until we are able to figure out the extent of his injury, or get him to the vet. I am seeking advice of rehabilitating waterfowl. If this injury is severe, we will have to cull him unfortunately. But in the mean time, I want to make his life as comfortable as possible and not end it as it just started. I am hoping to help mobilize him a bit and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make him a swimming aid? Or what is the best way to prop him up comfortably, or get weight off his feet? I want to help him swim to relieve some pressure and hopefully start regaining mobility, but he cannot swim without assistance.

Right now, he seems happy to be somewhere safe and clean. He is eating and drinking and is not showing signs of distress. His name is Nigel, and I would love to get him back up and waddling.

Any advice helps!

TL;DR

Need advice on assisting mobility of a Jumbo Pekin with disability/injury. Ways to make him comfortable in the mean time

wanted to say thank you for taking him in and trying yo give him a better future
Could he have a niacin issue ?
With ducks especially the bigger breeds they need extra more then the feed provides. This can cause leg issues and keep them from being mobile
Not sure if it’s that orca real leg injury but to treat niacin
Give vitamin B compex 1 ml over treats or by syringe once a day
Also add nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed for a few weeks till they are back to normal. Then continue with nutritional yeast sprinkled on feed to keep it from happening again
The vet may do X-ray and if nothing shows up my guess would be niacin issues

M
wanted to say thank you for taking him in and trying yo give him a better future
Could he have a niacin issue ?
With ducks especially the bigger breeds they need extra more then the feed provides. This can cause leg issues and keep them from being mobile
Not sure if it’s that orca real leg injury but to treat niacin
Give vitamin B compex 1 ml over treats or by syringe once a day
Also add nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed for a few weeks till they are back to normal. Then continue with nutritional yeast sprinkled on feed to keep it from happening again
The vet may do X-ray and if nothing shows up my guess would be niacin issues
Thank you so much for this advice! I will absolutely be starting this with him.

I was wondering the same thing because it looked like he’s been struggling for some time now, and I had to wonder if he had developed poorly due to his feed. This is awesome advice, I really appreciate it!

M

Thank you so much for this advice! I will absolutely be starting this with him.

I was wondering the same thing because it looked like he’s been struggling for some time now, and I had to wonder if he had developed poorly due to his feed. This is awesome advice, I really appreciate it!
Hopefully he gets better
It breaks my heart that people don’t take care of their birds

TL;DR

Need advice on assisting mobility of a Jumbo Pekin with disability/injury. Ways to make him comfortable in the mean time
Update on Nigel!

First photo is from when we brought him home, second is the from this morning of him swimming for the first time on his own.

We have him on antibiotics and supplements. He is receiving fresh bedding and baths daily since he can’t have access to bathing water in his little quarantine set up to keep it dry. He still cannot walk well, but he is trying. Though I limit him to prevent further injury and try to restrict most movement to the water, i try to encourage him to get up for his food and water. Once the storm in CO passes, I’ll bring him outside for short visit with his flock. mostly for his mental health, i can tell that being isolated the past two nights has taken its own toll on him but it’s the best for his recovery.

He has bumble foot which the antibiotics are for, but the bedding changes and baths have already helped. Any bumbles that don’t come loose, we will remove and bandage his feet to help with the healing since he lays down a lot.

I am hopeful that things can look up for him. Please, feel free to pitch in any other advice. I am currently just going on what our vet has recommended for foot injuries and otherwise, just observing and adjusting his routine as seems necessary. Anything helps!

Attachments

• 3D15DC70-95AA-4891-8191-821FF1FA3EA1.jpeg
    3D15DC70-95AA-4891-8191-821FF1FA3EA1.jpeg
    910.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 9A6F59BE-9D23-4988-8ACB-69FFA7896038.jpeg
    9A6F59BE-9D23-4988-8ACB-69FFA7896038.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom