June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Man it is SO hot today, do I need to worry about that?
Heat will kill more chickens than the cold, so yes you need to worry about the heat.

It will be 103 here on Thursday--I will make sure the misting system is working for that day. Mist works well for us because we have low humidity.

The best thing for your chickens in the heat is shade and plenty of water.

Heat will kill more chickens than the cold, so yes you need to worry about the heat.

It will be 103 here on Thursday--I will make sure the misting system is working for that day. Mist works well for us because we have low humidity.

The best thing for your chickens in the heat is shade and plenty of water.

I guess it's the ones with newly hatched chicks that are still sitting on eggs to hatch that I'm most concerned about :/ It's 81* feels like 93* major humidity today and is cloudy, no breeze, and possibly stormy. They keep panting, I have a fan going but it doesn't create a lot of air. Man I just wish the other chicks would hatch so that I can move them to the "mama area", that way I would at least be able to give them more space. But maybe they would be doing the same thing, sitting on the chicks until the toddle out to get some air and peck around a little. Who knows LOL! I just need to relax

Last edited:
I guess it's the ones with newly hatched chicks that are still sitting on eggs to hatch that I'm most concerned about
hmm.png
It's 81* feels like 93* and is cloudy, no breeze, and possibly stormy. They keep panting, I have a fan going but it doesn't create a lot of air. Man I just wish the other chicks would hatch so that I can move them to the "mama area"
The fan is a great idea and make sure that the nest box is shaded.

They should be fine as long as the heat does not build up in the nest.

The fan is a great idea and make sure that the nest box is shaded.

They should be fine as long as the heat does not build up in the nest.
Yep the boxes are shaded, I need to move the fan I think, it's hard because there's only one outlet out here LOL! And the hens would know if it was too hot in there right?

Aaaaggggghhhhhhh....... this is the freakin NORTHWEST. It's supposed to be nice here, not the 9th circle of hell
So bad for wine grapes and chickens alike. Boo, froM Washington wine country. If I lose a pullet I'm going to be so sad.

Aaaaggggghhhhhhh....... this is the freakin NORTHWEST. It's supposed to be nice here, not the 9th circle of hell
So bad for wine grapes and chickens alike. Boo, froM Washington wine country. If I lose a pullet I'm going to be so sad.
You will need to do something for them on the 110 day for sure!

People start losing chickens here in Northern California when it gets over 105.

Yep, they are just exploring
smile.png
Momma hen will teach them what to eat, and if you wanted to put a dish of crumbles in with them if you haven't already she'll probably eat some and she makes a certain noise to tell the babies to come eat too.

^ Completely true! I was fascinated the first day my broody took the babies out into the run. I picked up the food dish and it's like she noticed it for the first time. She attacked the dish, knocking it out of my hand and started pecking like crazy. Then she stopped for a second and made this odd noise. The chicks came running. She started pecking, and then they did too. Amazing!

My hatch finished Saturday night. I brought in the two eggs Saturday morning and opened them that night. By the next afternoon both chicks were fine and running about so I put them back out with the broody. She lightly pecked each at first, until they ran under her, then she stopped. We found one dead chick in the nest this morning. Looks like pasty butt, but who knows. All told I have four living chicks from seven living eggs laid over several days under a sneaky broody hen. Not bad.

I promise pictures when I'm not so wiped out.

So, I have the following options:

Cold watermelon getting shrivelly in the fridge right now
Dunk-a-hen in cool water
I have sand in the run-hose it down to create cool pockets for nestling down into
Refresh water regularly so that is stays cold
Box fan?
Chicken popsicles: frozen veggies and table scraps with water in muffin tins
Shallow pan for chicken wading pool

Any tips on what's best, or additions to the list?

So, I have the following options:

Cold watermelon getting shrivelly in the fridge right now
Dunk-a-hen in cool water
I have sand in the run-hose it down to create cool pockets for nestling down into
Refresh water regularly so that is stays cold
Box fan?
Chicken popsicles: frozen veggies and table scraps with water in muffin tins
Shallow pan for chicken wading pool

Any tips on what's best, or additions to the list?
That is all good!

Look into an orbit mister that connects to a garden hose. My chickens do not like being sprayed with a hose but the love the mist from a misting system.

Back
Top Bottom