June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

This *might* be a stupid question, so my apologies up front....but can baby chicks get their heads caught in chicken wire?

This *might* be a stupid question, so my apologies up front....but can baby chicks get their heads caught in chicken wire?
I have had them get stuck between the eco glow 20 and the side of the brooder. They would likely walk through chicken wire.

no not normally. I have chicks run through chicken wire all the time
thumbsup.gif

Yikes! Well I don't want that LOL! Will go with the hardware cloth ;D

Also do the hens sti get off the nests once a day to eat, drink etc after a chick has hatched out? They still have eggs that haven't hatched

Yikes! Well I don't want that LOL! Will go with the hardware cloth ;D

Also do the hens sti get off the nests once a day to eat, drink etc after a chick has hatched out? They still have eggs that haven't hatched

They'll get off and take the chicks with them! When the chicks are two or three days old the broody takes them around during the day and brings them back to the nest to sleep at night. I keep mine in a big dog crate for two weeks so the chicks are more agile before I start letting the broody take them out of the coop.

We put up a little pen inside the coop for the mamas and babies, wondering if I should wait the 2-3 days until they take them down out of the nesting boxes on their own or just go ahead and do it tomorrow or whatever? *what to do what to do...*

Well crab nuggets!! I came out this morning and one of the chicks fell out of the nesting boxes mama had it in and now it's snuggled underneath one of my other hens on the who isn't due to hatch until Sunday :/ I had a feeling that might happen. Hoping it wouldn't. So now what do I do? Grab it when it peeks out and put it back up with mama? Concerned she doesn't have anything to eat under this other hen?

Last edited:
I just took a chance while the chick was out and grabbed it and stuck it back in with mom, BUT when the mom lifted up to let the chick back under I could smell something dead :/

Could it be the egg remnants from the one that hatched yesterday? Or maybe just from sitting for so long she's smelly? It's not super bad but I definitely smell something dead

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom