June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

frow.gif

i set 20 of my jubilee orp and jubilee/splash orp (hopefully) eggs on friday, 5/22.
I also set 12 shipped BLRW eggs and 6 shipped BBS orp eggs. I candled this morning when I turned them, and it looks like most are developing!
I am holding my breath though! shipped eggs are tough and some of my eggs were almost 2 weeks old before I got to set them.

i add water when i first set mine, but i don't again until lockdown!
Good luck to all!
Welcome! I am so jealous of your orps... Can't wait to see hatch pics! (I have orps a few but none are laying yet...and I have no rooster! I have a million roosters of my other birds!)

I did an experiment on my last hatch and set eggs up to 16 days old. The oldest 3 didn't hatch...everything else did. So, you may have some luck with those two week old ones!

Hi! This is our FIRST time hatching! Here is what we've set:

Due June 14th:

8 americana crosses
2 white leghorn crosses
14 barnyard mixes (bantams, silkies, barred rocks, reds, etc.)

Due June 15th:

2 americana crosses
8 chanteclers

So 34 eggs total for our first attempt… a little much maybe? I was so concerned we wouldn't have great success that I set way more than I had planned, but we know plenty other homes for our chickens if we can't keep them… and I've convinced my husband to let me use one of our sheds for chickens instead of our tiny coop. I plan to sell quite a few mixed breeds and keep the chanteclers for eggs and meat.

The incubator temp has been running consistently at 99.5F with humidity reading holding at 44%.

I'm wondering - the only pure breed we've got in are the 8 chanteclers. I'm assuming I'll be able to tell them apart as they get older, but will it be obvious when they are small chicks?

I can't wait to see what comes out of the mixed eggs - I feel like we have a "treat bag" of chicks waiting for us! Hopefully we get along well.

@ Icraig Welcome! Hatching is soooo much fun. I am not sure on your question on your chanetclers...You will have to watch the chicks to see what they look like when they hatch and fluff up. Some are harder to tell apart than others.

Barnyard mixes are cool. I have two mixed coops outside. I watch them grown and think...now, what chicken was that???

On Jun 9th, I have modern game chicks due and 4 mix chicks. They are shipped and split between 2 broody hens... so I hope everything goes well... in total 18 eggs.
One hen has 7 and the other 11.
I also ordered 6 sumatra bantams for a new broody

Welcome! I am so jealous of your orps... Can't wait to see hatch pics! (I have orps a few but none are laying yet...and I have no rooster! I have a million roosters of my other birds!)

I did an experiment on my last hatch and set eggs up to 16 days old. The oldest 3 didn't hatch...everything else did. So, you may have some luck with those two week old ones!
thats good to hear!! I certainly hope so. the splash cross are from my sweet elsa. She was egg bound, and we lost her. some of the shipped orps i was hoping to get a rooster for her, now I would just love to have a single one. its weird to not have her around. even with all my other birds, she was the friendliest and by far the largest, even larger than my roosters!

thats good to hear!! I certainly hope so. the splash cross are from my sweet elsa. She was egg bound, and we lost her. some of the shipped orps i was hoping to get a rooster for her, now I would just love to have a single one. its weird to not have her around. even with all my other birds, she was the friendliest and by far the largest, even larger than my roosters!
Sorry to hear you lost her...How many of her eggs are you hatching?

I have 25 duck eggs and 6 fbcm x pbrock eggs in. Set to hatch June 6.
Icraig, what color of Chantecler do you have in? I just put my white Chanty hens in a chicken tractor today. My roo will go in on June 17th. Hopefully in the middle of July I will have some cute little yellow chicks.

I'm in :) I have a ton of eggs in the incubator I'm waiting very impatiently on lol

6/1 - 7 courtnix
6/4 - 6 bantam mixes
6/6 - 5 bantam mix
6/7 - 9 marans , 3 olive eggers , 2 bantam mix
6/8 - 3 bantam mix , 2 Marans mix , 15 courtnix
6/9 - 8 bobwhite , 2 silkie , 2 blue polish , 4 bantam mix
6/10- 15 button quail , 2 bantam mix
6/11 - 3 bantam mix
6/12 -6 bantam mix
6/17 - 15 Silver Laced Polish , 6 bantam mix

Back
Top Bottom