June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Hey everyone, I just found this and would love to join! My name is Kelsea, I haven't attempted to hatch in about 2 years now but finally broke down and set 48 eggs on the 22 of May. I am using a homemade incubator and so far, so good. Most of them look like they are developing. 15 of them are barred rocks, 18 of them are black austrolorps, 5 BBS English Orpingtons (shipped), 4 jubilee English Orpingtons (shipped), 3 buff english Orpingtons (shipped), and 3 splash English Orphingtons (shipped). I am extremely excited for this hatch and so glad I found this group!
Welcome Kelsea! Sounds like you have a big hatch underway! Nice group of different chicks! Do you have the barred rock and black austrolorps in your flock already?

Hey everyone, I just found this and would love to join! My name is Kelsea, I haven't attempted to hatch in about 2 years now but finally broke down and set 48 eggs on the 22 of May. I am using a homemade incubator and so far, so good. Most of them look like they are developing. 15 of them are barred rocks, 18 of them are black austrolorps, 5 BBS English Orpingtons (shipped), 4 jubilee English Orpingtons (shipped), 3 buff english Orpingtons (shipped), and 3 splash English Orphingtons (shipped). I am extremely excited for this hatch and so glad I found this group!
good luck with the hatch! thats a lot of eggs! i set 38 and i thought that was a lot!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Haha I know it's a lot but I'm so excited lol! @purpletie3 I used to have a barred rock hen named pepper who was large and in charge, she would always alert the flock if she saw anything overhead. So I though that would be a good breed to try again. Although, I have never had austrolorps if you have any advice in that department. Due to family reasons I had to give my precious flock to a friend so I am starting from scratch now, 2 years later.

@Chickenonmymind I have a couple barred rocks and and australorp. She was really sweet then the neighbors dog got to her. She made it but she's a little skittish now. She's the first australorp that I've had.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Haha I know it's a lot but I'm so excited lol! @purpletie3 I used to have a barred rock hen named pepper who was large and in charge, she would always alert the flock if she saw anything overhead. So I though that would be a good breed to try again. Although, I have never had austrolorps if you have any advice in that department. Due to family reasons I had to give my precious flock to a friend so I am starting from scratch now, 2 years later.

My BA's are bantams...cute and sweet little girls! Honestly, there are so many cool chicken breeds out there it would really depend upon what your situation is and what kind of chicken you wanted...Good layers or dual or pretty! If I had some more help I would have a pair of every bird I could find!!! Also, You would want to consider a good breed for your area...heat or cold...comb size.

So many cool breeds to choose from!

Just candled the incubator...above pic is my peafowl egg. 4/5 are developing despite the two that had rolling air cells!

Bantam pic...pulled 4 clears. 4 golden sebright developing, 3 mil fleur, 4 p, 5 silver sebright, 5 serama's. Many had partial rolling air cells and have developed. Out of the clears two had normal air cells and the third completely detached.

Pic above is the Cemani's. There are 5/6 developing. One with a complete Detatached air cell did not develop.

This is my little call duck...wiggling around. I could see his beak!!!

...and lastly two silver sebrights to lockdown! Woot woot!

Candling and egg duty caught up!

Following.

I set 29 eggs on May15th, some 12 EE's and 17 mix brown egg layer Shipped from a member here they got into lockdown on the 2nd June.. May18th I set 3 duck eggs, Today I set 12 more eggs 4 EE and 8 Delaware eggs.

It's my first time hatching chicken eggs, hoping for a great hatch.

Candled today and threw out two dead eggs, so we're down to nineteen. All of the others looked to be alive. Only four days to lockdown, this is so exciting!!

I have a hatch due on the 15th. Just eight eggs though, nothing big.

Seven look good, one looks infertile.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom