June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Yes, we have a good assortment.

I am on day seven of my hatch! Two more weeks left. :weee

I set early today some Cemani eggs, silkie and one lonely Easter Egger...
I don't think half the silkie eggs are fertile. My Roo was super aggressive and I removed him and put a docile roo in there... We shall see!

I don't think half the silkie eggs are fertile. My Roo was super aggressive and I removed him and put a docile roo in there... We shall see!

I set two cemani eggs today too :D

I discovered my first ever broody hen this morning so I'll be joining my second hatch a long, yay! One year old New Hampshire red is sitting on a dozen mixed eggs from the flock. The kids say she's been on the nest for two days, but I'm not counting on seeing any chicks until June 22.

I have a barred rock, a golden laced wyandotte, an easter egger, a black sex link, and one GLW x Minorca, all of them fertilized by a Minorca rooster. (Yes, unfortunately, one of last years hens has been breeding with her own father and one of her eggs made it into this batch. Oh well... EXPERIMENTATION!)

The hens have taken over the chickpen for a nesting box, so I went out today and put a bucket inside of it to try to partition the broody away from the rest of the space a little bit. I marked the eggs and put food and water in the run for her. I tossed her out of the nest to make sure she was serious. One of the other hens decided it was time to lay for the day at right about this time so they both went back inside the chickhouse together and the broody refused to even acknowledge the other hen was there. Laying hen stared the broody down while she laid outside the bucket-partition area and then left, so I think we'll be ok as far as other hens laying eggs in the nest. Once the hatching is imminent I can close the chickpen to keep them out completely.

This is not the hen I expected to go broody as she was a chick this time last year, but thankfully she's the sweetest one we've got and very OK with humans. She growls about her nest, but no pecking, thank goodness!

Oh, I am so excited!

Indeed. Good luck.

Quote: This is actually the goat pen. I went and marked each of the eggs originally found, and check for "new eggs" in the evening when putting the chickens to bed in the coop.

Quote: Actually they hatch at day 18, so you'd only start them 3 days later to get them to hatch at the same time
smile.png
I keep a separate hatcher though so I don't have to worry about trying to get hatch times to match up.

Oh my. That was dumb of me.
th.gif
For some reason I subtracted 14 from 21 instead of 18 from 21. Guess I was thinking that because day 14 is usually when you lockdown quail eggs...

Thanks for clearing that up.
thumbsup.gif
I would have locked down way to early.

Quote:
Thank you very much. that is extremely helpful.
clap.gif

Quote: Brilliant!
smile.png
Did you start the quail about a week after in order to match up lockdown periods, or how did that work?
I wanted to set the quail, but "I" was long done with hatching chicken eggs. My last hatch was just after Easter and that was okay with me. With 12 juveniles and about 30 babies having just moved outside I was glad to be done with chickens for the year. These hens just had different plans. The worst part is, I will have to remove the chicks from their Mamas. The darker hen is queen of the flock and one of the best broodies for sitting on eggs. However, she is the worst at keeping the chicks alive. She lost every chick from her last clutch. The one chick she managed to keep alive the longest was abandoned before being fully feathered and died trying to stay warm with the juveniles. No, chickens were not part of the "hatching" plan. I'll let these girls hatch them, but the chicks will be brooded inside in a brooder box; unless I can come up with another option for keeping the chicks safe and alive with their Mamas.

So far, out of 18 eggs, 7 are developing, pretty good for shipped eggs... Another hen has gone broody and I got her 6 sumatra bantam eggs, I hope for at least one to hatch and be a roo. I will check for development on Thursday when they will be one week.

Back
Top Bottom