June hatch-a-long!

Pics
@CJClucks
Since I'm new to the thread, I was wondering what day everyone is on and what you're hatching.

I had 6 chicks hatch yesterday under my first broody hen. A coworker gave me 8 eggs, one was removed around day 15 when it started to smell, and last night there was one egg left but after candling I saw that it had died late in development. My hen is one hell of a mama and is certainly making up for her grouchy but manageable broody behavior. Lol she’s a butt kicker now.

Tomorrow is my candling day for my shipped eggs. I have 7 Seramas, and 15 Bantam Cochins (Red, Barred, and Molted). They will be on day 7 and hope to see a lot of veins. My last batch was completely infertile with no development at all.

I intended to candle at day 7 and somehow started at day 4 instead. I looked at one, expecting to see nothing. Instead there was very obvious action happening and then before I knew it I had looked at them all. With shipped eggs, I can imagine you need to be more careful. Good luck with these!

I had 6 chicks hatch yesterday under my first broody hen. A coworker gave me 8 eggs, one was removed around day 15 when it started to smell, and last night there was one egg left but after candling I saw that it had died late in development. My hen is one hell of a mama and is certainly making up for her grouchy but manageable broody behavior. Lol she’s a butt kicker now.

Six out of eight seems great. Congratulations on success with your first broody! I'm very worried about how many of my current eggs are going to be late quitters or failed hatchers. I started with 28 and have 19 left. None of them were shipped eggs but some were 2 wks old and one is cracked.

Ok everyone I have a broody who has been sitting on eggs (I think 8) since the 5th of this month so 7 days. I haven't done anything with her or the eggs. Should I be doing anything??? This is her 2nd time going broody and the 1st time wasn't successful since she abandoned them during hatch.HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok everyone I have a broody who has been sitting on eggs (I think 8) since the 5th of this month so 7 days. I haven't done anything with her or the eggs. Should I be doing anything??? This is her 2nd time going broody and the 1st time wasn't successful since she abandoned them during hatch.HELP PLEASE!!!
It is your call. If you are curious about development candle them tonight after dark. You don't have to do it though. You could let nature handle it.

The only thing I’d highly recommend is marking the eggs she’s sitting on so you know which to remove if other hens lay an egg in with her

image.jpg Lock down! 57 eggs going in. (24 ducks & 33 chickens)

Back
Top Bottom