June Hatch-A-Long

Have a BYM bantam due to hatch 5 BYM on the 3rd, she "Lisa" was a chick I hatched in the incubator last year. I have 15 eggs under a broody GLW that I set on the May 29th, caught her off the nest yesterday and was sitting on an egg that came from the bantam nest. I will candle tomorrow and see what they look like, plan to set another 18 or so in the incubator tonight or in the morning.

Ok. I'm really confused. All these eggs look different. Some lots of veins and shadows and some a tiny amount. I shouldn't have looked so soon (set Thurs). But how does this one look?

So I changed my mind about leaving it, I finally pulled the clear and did an eggtopsy on the one, then candled with a better flashlight and pulled the two dark ones, as I could see spots in one, and the other had streaks, both quit a day or two before the other one, the embryos were smaller, I have one lone egg left, but I have been having a hard time the last 2-3 days keeping the temp up, and when I do it spikes to 104 plus the egg looked off when I candled it quickly with the others, so it may be dying. I will reset new eggs tomorrow, a small part of me hopes this last one makes it, and part says it would be sad to have the one hatch alone. I'm hoping a larger set will work better (more thermal mass) and have less spikes, as I won't be disturbing the eggs as much.

Th
Ok. I'm really confused. All these eggs look different. Some lots of veins and shadows and some a tiny amount. I shouldn't have looked so soon (set Thurs). But how does this one look?

That one looks a lot like mine did when it was doing well.

My 22 week old EE pullet started setting today with a total 21 egg's but of course not all of them are her's ...
big_smile.png

So I am wondering if I could join your June 2014 hatch along with a pullet for an incubator thank you in advance
jumpy.gif

My last month's incubator did not work out with her first clutch ..
he.gif

She was dedicated just the papa, did not do it correctly
th.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
There you all are! Or, I should say, here you all are. May is over..and now for June. :)

I have a lot of EE's in, and some HRIR's. Excited for those HRIR's. The guy I get them from has some beauties. One of my girls out there couldn't be more Mahogany, pretty deep red!

:ya Everyone!

I'm getting really impatient to see any progress. How soon can I see anything? I set them Thursday morning, lol. So day 3 I guess because Thurs doesn't count. I haven't set my quail eggs yet (they're in a cooler at 70°) but I candled just curious how the spots look and I didn't know unincubated eggs have air cells too! Now I want to see all my tiny air cells on my chickens. I handle the crap out of my eggs but I don't have a turner or fan. If they have no air cells on day 3 does that mean they're infertile?
even infertile eggs have air cells. Eggs lost moisture through their porous shells. The older the egg the bigger the cell. An incubator speeds it all up of course because heat makes them lost moisture more quickly. But if you take a fresh egg and Candle it will have a a small air cell but the longer it sits in the fridge the larger the air cell gets. You know how when you boila store egg there's always that spot on the big end with that sort of bowl shaped indention? That's the air cell

that's a good egg. Precisely what you want to see. What you don't want to see is a red ring that makes a circle around the egg. You want spidery veins like you see there.

In other news my bantam hen was in the yard this morning. Ate took a dust bath and then disappeared again into the woods where I feel confident she has a nest of her and another hens eggs from last week. I would love to be able to find where she's camping. Has to be close to the house.
And all 17 eggs due to hatch the 8th still have movement. So hooray!

Last edited:
No sign on remaining Duck eggs, Due today but will wait a couple in case.

Clearing hatcher out tomorrow for Friday. Just a day extra for late comers. Hoping for a couple more but not counting on it.

I'm rejoining the June hatch.. I just set 6 Cayuga duck eggs. Of course my chicken eggs are still in the incubator (the few that haven't hatched yet). I didn't want to give up on the chicken eggs just yet since they were only due to hatch this morning, but I didn't want to wait any longer to set the duck eggs either. I received them in the mail on Friday, shipped from AZ to NY. Since twenty something chicken eggs hatched so close to each other this weekend, I'm thinking the last few aren't going to hatch, but I don't want to give up too soon. I'll take them out if no pips by Tuesday.
I've never hatched duck eggs before so this is going to be a sorta new adventure. Should be interesting. I'm hoping to get at least 2 ducks out of the 6. I don't think I'm setting my goals too high, although you never know with shipped eggs. We'll see how many are actually fertile and developing when I candle next week. ((Fingers crossed))

Back
Top Bottom