just a few questions...

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
My seven 51/2 week old quail went out into their outdoor aviary 3 days ago and they think they are in heaven! ❤️
Also, it was like a "maturity switch" was flipped when I moved them out, as they are already "breeding" and I've received 1 egg each day! (from someone).
Who knew? I thought they were too young for either. :idunno
Anyway, I had to give away my 2 extra Roos sooner than I expected; and they went to the local breeder today & I took another hen from him in exchange. So now I have 5 hens and one rooster.
The new hen is beautiful & healthy and is about a week and a half younger than mine, so I'm a bit concerned about directly putting her in with the others for fear she may get picked on. Most of today she spent in a separate cage butted up against the aviary so they could see each other and they were quite interested in her & interacted; tonight I plan to bring her in for the night (as I cant really secure that cage from predators) and I plan to do the same set up tomorrow.
Please if some of you knowledgeable folks can answer a few questions, I would be grateful...
1) Will it be fine to put my new younger hen in with others tomorrow afternoon?
2) Now that "someone" is laying eggs, should I begin "Layer feed" and if Yes, what about my Roo? I've heard differing opinions about whether or not you can let your roos eat Layer feed due to the high calcium content.
3) My aviary floor is partially sand, do they still need special "grit" despite the sand floor? and if yes, what kind?

Thank you to whomever responds
YWoody :D

I avoid integrating Quail at all costs because it is not a guarantee that they will like each other.
The younger the quail are when you integrate them the better. So if I were you I would try to add her to the page of your other quail tomorrow.

Quail did not need grit at all. If you are feeding them only a crumbled poultry feed...which is best.
I switch my baby quail from the game bird 30% protein feed over to a chicken layer 16% crumbled feed at 5 or 6 weeks of age with zero issues.

Thank you very much!! :D
If you're still "listening"; quick question..
It's about 15min before dark, I was just going to bring in the new hen's cage...
if it were yours, would you just put her in with the "flock" now?

Thank you very much!! :D
If you're still "listening"; quick question..
It's about 15min before dark, I was just going to bring in the new hen's cage...
if it were yours, would you just put her in with the "flock" now?
Can you post a picture of the whole set up real quick?

I will send some good pics of inside the aviary in the morning, showing the box, etc.
But this link below is a video I took of the whole "flock" (then 7) before I gave up 2 of my roos; their first day out in the aviary....
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/i5DxnNeFpAdq

And photo of the aviary.
Quail aviary 3.jpg

UPDATE... my newbie little hen has been in the Aviary w/the "flock" since 6am (over 3hrs now); I've been observing & it's like she's always been in there. Zero aggression from anyone...no hiding, etc. They are getting along perfectly! ❤️:wee🤞
Yay!

Do they get inside the little house part?
If so how?
Only 3 of them (on their own) go up the ramp into the the roosting house; but they come right back out, so I think they just do it out of curiosity. When I rake the coop each evening, I put each one of them up there and allow them to come down the ramp when they are ready. Seems to be helping them get used to gentle handling and also getting them use to the ramp. I'm thinking about putting grit paper on the ramp, it's made for chickens so the support slats are to far apart for the little quail to benefit from them & so they dont have good footing coming down.

Back
Top Bottom