Just a little more...

Sixbirds6

Chirping
Mar 7, 2018
Michigan
The wood is painted before we put the aluminum on just to seal it.
How should I make the windows look a little bit better?
The aluminum will go all the way up to the roof, so that gap will be no more.
20180504_145104.jpg

Excuse my mess. Windows are plexiglass, while they are a little crooked, they're secure.

How about roosts? What did you guys use? We're planning on using scraps.

In my area I have full list of predators. Coyotes, Fox, Fisher cats, weasels, raccoons. Knock on wood, no breaches of the defenses. The windows are never closed. Covered with HW cloth. The run also has HW cloth. Ventilation is very important. Others may weigh in.

In my area I have full list of predators. Coyotes, Fox, Fisher cats, weasels, raccoons. Knock on wood, no breaches of the defenses. The windows are never closed. Covered with HW cloth. The run also has HW cloth. Ventilation is very important. Others may weigh in.

I get what you're saying. We're attaching a screen to the door and there will be another door cut on the side for their run.
Where we're placing it, it'll have wind but not too much to bother my hens.

Those gaps are begging to be filled with hard ware cloth. That would be nice ventilation.

I would but I live in Michigan, and raccoon country.
I live in Michigan too...and raccoons are most everywhere in the US.

Put a fascia on rafter ends and leave the eave gaps open, covered with HC, you're going to need ventilation up high in the winter. Do the same on the back overhang too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

coop-eaves-1-jpg.1353556

coop-eaves-3-jpg.1353558

As others have stated, you need ventilation. General rule of thumb is 10% of floor space or 1 s.f. of ventilation per bird. My 10 x 12 coop has 25 s.f. of ventilation provided by windows, floor level, soffit, and gable end vents. There is an other 35 s.f. of ventilation available which consists of people door, pop door, clean out door, nest box doors and double broody area door which can be opened on a warm day. Note, I live in Maine where we often have many days in a row when high temps for the day don't even get UP TO 0*F.

Back
Top Bottom