Just a rant

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
I came home Tuesday to feathers all over the yard. Of my 6 hens, I found 2 dead, 2 pretty beat up and couldn't find the last 2. They were free range mainly because they fly out of the pen (4' chain link). I have a portable metal carport that we kept our tractor under that I have been wiring in as a secure pen for my new chicks (that arrived Wednesday morning), so the 2 hens are in the secure pen and the chicks are in the garage. I had not planned on this and my set up was not great--this batch of chicks is bantams and so much smaller than my usual chicks, so the pen needed retrofitting to keep them from getting stuck trying to get through the few openings I didn't notice. Lost 2 in the water the first day, same waterer I've used for every batch of chicks I've ever gotten, so surprised (the water was not 1/4" deep and had pebbles, they must have gotten piled on). Then, as I'm watching them, one little stretched out on its belly and just died--never saw that before, didn't look distressed or anything. Then I had to clean several pasty butts, but had them in the house with a heating pad in the tote, so they should have been warm enough and I blew them dry with gentle hair dryer--still lost one that night (maybe not the butt cleaning?). Then, today, I cobbled together a better pen for them in the garage--I had an old ping pong table that ( was able to cut in half lengthwise and 2 old card tables for the ends, so 12 chicks now in a 4 & 8 pen w/ 36" high sides). They have the heating pad at a slant from 4" on the high length and 2" on the low length with bedding under it--seems like it works fine, they sleep at night w/o peeps, so I'm at least doing that right. I banged together a roost for the hens, 4' off the ground but they seem to still like sleeping on the floor in the new space. I think I may go out after dark and put them on the roost, but who knows. So, now my problem is that, eventually, the chicks will need to go in the secure pen with the 2 hens. I figure I have at least 6 weeks, more or less, but I really don't want them in the garage longer than necessary. What do you think if I move the pen from the garage into the secure pen and put wire over the top? Make it so, if the big girls get on the top, it won't cave in? Our low temps are in the 60's and highs in the 80's, so the heating pad should work well enough. Sorry for the rant, just want to blow off some frustration. On top of that, I'm overrun with squash and trying to dehydrate and can, freezer is full, and I'm just tired. I like my chickens and garden but, wow, I'm almost at the point I want to give it up. I have several friends who want pullets but don't want to raise from chicks and asked if I'd do the chick part for them, then they'd pay for them at 12 weeks--is anyone doing that? I'd be willing but not with this past week! (And, I didn't mention that a grandchild is in NICU since Monday morning--I'm keeping the 3 older kids so mom, dad and other gran can stay at the hospital--I'm exhausted!) Thanks for listening, I just needed to vent and feel better already.

Pig Hug GIF

So sorry, I hope things get better soon.

I came home Tuesday to feathers all over the yard. Of my 6 hens, I found 2 dead, 2 pretty beat up and couldn't find the last 2. They were free range mainly because they fly out of the pen (4' chain link). I have a portable metal carport that we kept our tractor under that I have been wiring in as a secure pen for my new chicks (that arrived Wednesday morning), so the 2 hens are in the secure pen and the chicks are in the garage. I had not planned on this and my set up was not great--this batch of chicks is bantams and so much smaller than my usual chicks, so the pen needed retrofitting to keep them from getting stuck trying to get through the few openings I didn't notice. Lost 2 in the water the first day, same waterer I've used for every batch of chicks I've ever gotten, so surprised (the water was not 1/4" deep and had pebbles, they must have gotten piled on). Then, as I'm watching them, one little stretched out on its belly and just died--never saw that before, didn't look distressed or anything. Then I had to clean several pasty butts, but had them in the house with a heating pad in the tote, so they should have been warm enough and I blew them dry with gentle hair dryer--still lost one that night (maybe not the butt cleaning?). Then, today, I cobbled together a better pen for them in the garage--I had an old ping pong table that ( was able to cut in half lengthwise and 2 old card tables for the ends, so 12 chicks now in a 4 & 8 pen w/ 36" high sides). They have the heating pad at a slant from 4" on the high length and 2" on the low length with bedding under it--seems like it works fine, they sleep at night w/o peeps, so I'm at least doing that right. I banged together a roost for the hens, 4' off the ground but they seem to still like sleeping on the floor in the new space. I think I may go out after dark and put them on the roost, but who knows. So, now my problem is that, eventually, the chicks will need to go in the secure pen with the 2 hens. I figure I have at least 6 weeks, more or less, but I really don't want them in the garage longer than necessary. What do you think if I move the pen from the garage into the secure pen and put wire over the top? Make it so, if the big girls get on the top, it won't cave in? Our low temps are in the 60's and highs in the 80's, so the heating pad should work well enough. Sorry for the rant, just want to blow off some frustration. On top of that, I'm overrun with squash and trying to dehydrate and can, freezer is full, and I'm just tired. I like my chickens and garden but, wow, I'm almost at the point I want to give it up. I have several friends who want pullets but don't want to raise from chicks and asked if I'd do the chick part for them, then they'd pay for them at 12 weeks--is anyone doing that? I'd be willing but not with this past week! (And, I didn't mention that a grandchild is in NICU since Monday morning--I'm keeping the 3 older kids so mom, dad and other gran can stay at the hospital--I'm exhausted!) Thanks for listening, I just needed to vent and feel better already.
I'm sorry about your troubles. I feel a lot of what you are going through in my own way, too. Raising chicks - possibly for ourselves or for other people - and the logistics that go along with it, money is beyond tight right now, all the work has me exhausted, and we just had a death in the family. I even have a friend whose baby is in the NICU as well. It's a lot. I'm glad you have a place here to get things off your chest. ❤️ Hopefully your grandchild gets strong enough to go home soon. 🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:
Baby is breathing on her own now, urine output is much better--but she's still critical. Thanks for your concern, this worrying wears me down, but I am a praying person and our family has had many miracles over the years, so we know that whatever happens does so for a reason. All I need do is trust and obey.

Baby is breathing on her own now, urine output is much better--but she's still critical. Thanks for your concern, this worrying wears me down, but I am a praying person and our family has had many miracles over the years, so we know that whatever happens does so for a reason. All I need do is trust and obey.
I'm so glad to hear, and this is a good reminder. The Lord has us each in the palm of His mighty hand. ❤️❤️❤️ I definitely do not completely understand all the trials that have been sent our way over the years, but I do know that He works all things for good.

Heavenly Father, we reach up to you during this trying time for one's precious granddaughter, and another who has lost a loved one. Dear Lord, please grant these families Your loving touch and peace, guide the doctors with Your wisdom in healing this innocent baby. Thank You Lord for allowing us to pray for those in need. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen

Baby Adaline is now home, feeding tube removed, no more supplemental oxygen and doing well. Big brother is good at making her laugh and entire family is getting back to normal. Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers--as a praying family, we know He has us in his hand and wants what is best for us. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom