Just bought 2 silkies for $8.98 each.

I now know that I definitely prefer cuddling my silkies and could never eat one.
roll.png

Ok, I''ve had silkie wing soup before, but never cooked my own whole bird.

After consulting with a Chinese friend, who advised me that silkie was gamey & a BBQ was not the way to go we used this recipe.

It was delish, tender & I even let my silkie Miss Ohio have some. Little cannibal that she is..lol

Braised Silkie Chicken with Shallot and Onions

Ingredients:
2 Silkie chickens separated into four sections, 2 breasts, 2 legs and thighs (A normal 4-5 lb. chicken may be substituted)
5 Tablespoons dark soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
4 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
1 small onion, peeled and sliced thin
1 1/2 Tablespoons black bean sauce
3 Tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 cup rice wine
2 cup chicken stock or broth
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cilantro, minced

Method:
1. Rub the chicken pieces with dark soy sauce and let marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat. Add the vegetable oil to the pan when heated and add the ginger and garlic, quickly stir-fry until garlic begins to lightly brown.
3. Add the shallots and onion and stir-fry for a couple minutes, add the black bean sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine and bring to a simmer, then add the stock and remove from heat.
4. Heat a cast iron pot over medium-high heat, add a couple Tablespoons vegetable oil and sear the chicken pieces on each side until golden brown.
5. Once all of the chicken has been browned, add the sauce to the pot with the chicken, bring sauce to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn chicken pieces over and let simmer, covered, for another 30 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the pot and simmer uncovered to reduce the sauce to about 1.5 to 2 cups.
7. Place chicken pieces on a platter and top with sauce, sprinkled cilantro over the top.

We process and eat our silkie roos just like our standards. I can't see any difference
in it. The silkie meat is very good.

P9220027.jpg

P9220031.jpg

P9230014.jpg

P9230017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom