...just BUYING a chicken run?

Pics

KBrammell

Chirping
Jun 9, 2019
Bay Area, CA
There are great ideas on BYC for building DIY customs coops and runs... but has anyone had good luck with just purchasing a large predator-resistant chicken run? Like something that basically snaps together? ...I am not particularly handy. I have been surprised how difficult it seems to find an easy-to-assemble kit, even if I am willing to spend like $1000! LOL. The enclosed walk-in omlet runs seem like the best bet at first glance, but I am still not overly impressed. Help!

Where are you located?
DSC04441.JPG
You may want to consider the largest kennel you can get, put a roof over it & figure out a way to connect to their coop/housing area.

Due to our weather conditions/situation here, wanted something the girls would be confined to but yet have the ability to dig & space. Hubby built this 8x12x7, screened in with chicken wire (no predators like you all have), big dog house for nest box ... Call it our Chicken House, works great for us.

Attachments

• DSC04442.JPG
    DSC04442.JPG
    718.1 KB · Views: 76
How many chickens do you have and how big do you want your run to be?

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm trying to hire a handyman or a fence company to build a run for me because I want something about 42' L x 20' W and nothing pre-made is that large. I like working with my hands and figuring things out, but I don't have tools or carpentry skills, and with two young kids to look after, I just don't have the time I'd need to learn and tackle such a project.

Anyway, over the last 1.5 weeks I've contacted at least 12 different handymen/contractors/fence companies. TWO have contacted me back. Of those two, one has stood me up twice. The other handyman seems promising, came out, took measurements, had some good ideas. Still waiting for his quote after three days...fingers crossed he'll get back to me over the weekend. I'm expecting I'm going to pay good money for this, so I don't know why folks who build decks and fences, find this such an unappealing project. Sorry that my frustration is spilling over into your post, haha!

Anyway, here are some things that I found in my search. I can't vouch for their quality, but they have caught my interest.

1. https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/e-z-frames-10-ft-w-x-20-ft-d-chicken-run-w000499405.html

It's just the brackets and instructions. You'd have to get the wood. Apparently you can take the instructions to the hardware store, and they'll cut the lumber for you. Wayfair says for a $100-something fee, you can add on assembly. Of course, you'd have to put up the wire.

2. https://overezchickencoop.com/product/rugged-ranch-chicken-run-7x16x4/

I don't know how many chickens you have, but I used to be really interested in the Over-EZ coops/runs until the good folks on BYC said I'd need something bigger for the amount of chickens I'd like to have. The link is to their 4 foot high run. They also have a 6 foot high version.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find something!

Last edited:
How many chickens do you have and how big do you want your run to be?

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm trying to hire a handyman or a fence company to build a run for me because I want something about 42' L x 20' W and nothing pre-made is that large. I like working with my hands and figuring things out, but I don't have tools or carpentry skills, and with two young kids to look after, I just don't have the time I'd need to learn and tackle such a project.

Anyway, over the last 1.5 weeks I've contacted at least 12 different handymen/contractors/fence companies. TWO have contacted me back. Of those two, one has stood me up twice. The other handyman seems promising, came out, took measurements, had some good ideas. Still waiting for his quote after three days...fingers crossed he'll get back to me over the weekend. I'm expecting I'm going to pay good money for this, so I don't know why folks who build decks and fences, find this such an unappealing project. Sorry that my frustration is spilling over into your post, haha!

Anyway, here are some things that I found in my search. I can't vouch for their quality, but they have caught my interest.

https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/e-z-frames-10-ft-w-x-20-ft-d-chicken-run-w000499405.html

It's just the brackets and instructions. You'd have to get the wood. Apparently you can take the instructions to the hardware store, and they'll cut the lumber for you. Wayfair says for a $100-something fee, you can add on assembly. Of course, you'd have to put up the wire.

I don't know how many chickens you have, but I used to be really interested in these coops/runs until the good folks on BYC said I'd need something bigger for the amount of chickens I'd like to have. The link is to their 4 foot high run. They also have a 6 foot high version.

https://overezchickencoop.com/product/rugged-ranch-chicken-run-7x16x4/

Good luck in your search. I hope you find something!
Thank you for the great detailed input. I will check out the 2 things you found. Maybe hiring someone more handy than myself is the way to go, assuming they follow through :) ...

I have a Retriever brand 6 x 10 "dog" kennel with a canvas top as an extension on my large breed hens lot and it has worked well. I did attach 2" poultry wire to it last fall after losing my favorite Buff Orpington hen to a feral cat late one afternoon just before roosting time. The cat had squeezed in through the kennel wire. I also shut the access door at dark to keep any potential predator from tearing through the canvas and getting into the main run which is 16 gauge wire.

I have a Retriever brand 6 x 10 "dog" kennel with a canvas top as an extension on my large breed hens lot and it has worked well. I did attach 2" poultry wire to it last fall after losing my favorite Buff Orpington hen to a feral cat late one afternoon just before roosting time. The cat had squeezed in through the kennel wire. I also shut the access door at dark to keep any potential predator from tearing through the canvas and getting into the main run which is 16 gauge wire.
sorry you lost your orpington :(

The kennels I have seen online still need hardware cloth and a roof installed over them to be predator-safe...The costs start to be in the $2,000's by my calculations... or maybe I am just not researching the right kennels?
Yep....sounds about right.
Kits for large run type enclosures will come in panels and they won't quite 'snap' together.
Even if you are handy, any sturdy and predator proof structure ain't gonna be cheep.
Consider something that can be added onto, so you don't have to by the whole thing right now

Back
Top Bottom