...just BUYING a chicken run?

I recently purchased two of these kennels:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucky-Dog-6H-x-8L-x-4W-Welded-Wire-Dog-Fence-Pet-Kennel-with-Heavy-Duty-Cover/232679467087?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
As mentioned, they would need hardware cloth and an anti-dig apron for predator proofing. But still a cheap start. I didn't alter mine at all because I only let the birds out when I am home and they are locked down in a very secure coop otherwise. These kennels are a little small but you can combine them to make one larger run. I have a breeding trio in one and a quad in the other. These particular birds I recently purchased from a breeder, they were either show birds or breeders, so they were used to being in cages. To them this is the Taj Mahal.

ETA pic:
20190622_080204.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to devise a roof for a dog kennel, but hubby picked this instead, which has a roof:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MIrvuS65L94gIVCv5kCh3EfguFEAUYASABEgLJ1_D_BwE

I added multiple extensions, too, and added hardware cloth around the bottom and "sewed" wire in the gaps between roof and side. I should switch out the wire for hardware cloth, but I ended up free ranging my flock most of the day anyway, and I lock them up at night.

I like it, but I like this one better because it is wider and has a better coating and door latch:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808#

I think I ended up spending around $800. I cringe when I think about it because there are cheaper options. It's def sturdy. Just wish it was wider.

There are great ideas on BYC for building DIY customs coops and runs... but has anyone had good luck with just purchasing a large predator-resistant chicken run? Like something that basically snaps together? ...I am not particularly handy. I have been surprised how difficult it seems to find an easy-to-assemble kit, even if I am willing to spend like $1000! LOL. The enclosed walk-in omlet runs seem like the best bet at first glance, but I am still not overly impressed. Help!
This is what I got a couple years ago, bought extra panels in bundles of 2 per for 100 bucks. Also added a roof
like is shown here

That roof is ingenious.
Thanks:) It is the Retriever brand kennel from TSC. You can buy the extra panels 2 at a time, and you can also buy door panels separate. Used 2x4, spade bit to make the notch on the ends, put 2 of those per panel then layed galv. steel panels and screwed them down with self tappers.

We build a 10' x 10' x 6' shelter with chicken wire and a tarp over top. with 2 x 2's. It isn't pretty but it works great for our group. Now that I have more to add I have to add an annex on. We looked into buying a prefab. We had the same problem you did. There isn't a lot around to suit the needs of individuals.

We aren't very handy either. So using the 2 x 2's really helped.

Good luck.

I made our run. Used 2"x2"x8' (1.78 per piece), cut to make 4'x4' panels(making it where if we moved could be transported easily), 1/2"x1" wire(got 100' $200), 4" screws, door hinges, handle, safety hook, hasp & padlock, had a 8'x12' tarp to cover top. Made it 8'x8'(can add on if needed).
I cut the wood and waterproofed it. Hubby cut the wire. I stapled it on the frame. Made 12 panels(2 panels per side and 4 for the top. A center post in the run to support the top panels. Made a a foot riser to slope the tarp. Made a run door. I am not tall, barely have to bend to go into run. Not a carpenter but was easy to make. Cost was less than $400. Have half the wire left.
Going to be putting a clear gabled roof on it. Designed it out. Saving up the money for it.

I'm really surprised that when aart responded, she didn't say anything about her chicken run. If you do the attachments to the T-posts like hers, certainly could do a roofed run for much, much less than what any of these companies are charging for the finished products of wire panel pens (that still may need to have smaller wire attached). Could make it heavier duty, too, right from the start. And it's not that difficult if you want to do it while the children napping or playing outside while you do some work OR have a high school student come help out (babysitting or doing the work). Aart's Coop - I highly recommend you take a look. It really shouldn't be too difficult.

I certainly understand about dog pen panels (I have some - at the moment they are actually a dog yard, but have been pony foal out stalls and chicken pens in the past years and were used when I purchased them very reasonably) and even the Wayfair one. But the Rugged Ranch one is only 4' high and trust me, you don't want a pen you can't walk into. I had 4 pens like that (permanent fence posts sunk into the ground) when we moved into our house and OMG, what a pain to get into/out of to feed/water/collect eggs. I didn't cut the existing wire to put in nest boxes and still don't want to. I've finally gotten three of them hooped w/ cattle panel. It didn't occur to me when I did the first two, to put wire on the inside of the panels first. Now putting up wire - so if we lose the tarped roof, birds can't get out and most predators can't get in... The 4th one is on hold for a bit...

If you truly don't mind a 4' tall run, why not just get the t-posts, post driver, and wire that can go up? You would still need to do some type of support for the wire that covers/roofs it. T-posts can be painted & can be pulled to move. IF you truly want portable and no fence posts - get the cattle panel from TSC (50" tall x 16' long) and put the wire of your choice on it (48" tall, 2x4" wire works well or HC) and then strap the ends together. You can make squares - 16 x 16 easily, but if you go more then 16' in length, you truly do need some type of a support post - a step in post or maybe a piece of rebar instead of a t-post would work.

Edited to change a few words...

Last edited:
I'm not a builder either and neither is my husband. We hired a carpenter and he built what we wanted. A secure run isn't all that difficult and it can maximize the use of the space you have available. You want:

• Sturdy uprights probably buried in concrete or mounted on a concrete pillar for protection from moisture.
• A strong enclosure -- I recommend heavy gauge hardware cloth dug in 12"-18".
• A roof with a generous overhang to protect from weather, airborne predators and provide cooling shade. Make it angled to shed rain and snow. Mine is higher on the front than the back and a rain gutter collects the water and directs it onto one of my compost piles.
• A door wide enough to easily load in what you'll need. Several people here have lately been installing Dutch doors that allow them to open just the top for access while the bottom stays closed to prevent breakouts.
• Latches that can accept carabiner clips for protection from agile raccoons.
• Then you can get fancy and have your carpenter make waterers and feed tubes from PVC that can be filled from outside your enclosure. There are lots of pix around here.

Getting what really meets your need is a one time expense probably within your $1K budget. Settling for or adapting what's available may not be. You could end up always more or less unhappy or adding to the expense and set up with replacements. And when you've got a secure surround you can put inside what you want for a coop and nesting boxes. Even something that comes as a kit and snaps together. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom