Just Dandruff?

Oh no!
Ok, ill keep an eye on it, see if it's improving.:fl If not, ill try the ivermectin and olive oil

I dont know if it was mite crud, but no other chickens in my flock had it, only the scaly leg rooster. It can't hurt to do a mite treatment anyway.

I know right!? You knew EXACTLY what happened to my face!

We have all been there!!! 😂

Not an emergency, but topic best fits this thread since I don't know what this is:

I have 14 chickens total, 3 roosters & 11 hens. I check 1-2 chickens rotating, daily for bugs, visual signs of illness or injury. I dont have the time or energy to check all 14 all the time, and don't want to stress everyone out too much, so I've found this works best for me/us. So far, so good, except yesterday, I found this on the back of his neck, just below his head, of one of my roos.
View attachment 3645514
It's about a 2"×2" area, hidden by his neck feathers, only able to see it when I pick up all his neck feathers. It looks like really thick dandruff, has pin feathers in the area but no full grown feathers in the patch. He has no other signs of anything, no signs of bugs that I can see, and he is acting, eating, drinking, and alfa-rooing like normal. He's about a year & a half, eats flock raiser feed, and fruits/veggies daily. He's the head honcho so he basically wants for nothing.

No one else has anything similar and no one is showing signs of anything that I've seen. No bugs in the coop & I've checked at night under their roosts.

Sorry the pic is blurry, I got bitch-flapped :smacktrying to get a pic, apparently I didn't have proper permission/permits to take his picture :confused:

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
One of my hens has this too. Just in one section below her vent some. I think it's just dry skin.

Yes, so far so good on our end. It's still there but it's not worse, doesn't seem to bother him too much and no other signs of anything wrong so I'm not too worried anymore.

I think I should be worried now, or at least this needs some intervention, he can't be too comfortable. Any assistance is appreciated:

So since he didn't seem to get worse, I stopped harassing him for a while and checked him again today, it has spread drastically. The 'bald spot' is all over his neck now, still covered by some long feathers until you lift them, but now he also has a lump under the skin, with a scabbed-over cut/wound and then lower on his neck he has clusters of hard 'dandruff' that feel like rocks, sitting at the base of groups of feathers.

Again, he is still eating, drinking, and being head-honcho, but man it looks awful. I do know he isn't 100% though because once I caught him, he didn't fight me to let him go like he usually does.

I don't see any bugs and I haven't found anything remotely similar on any of my other hens/roos. Any ideas?
IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

I looked up depluming mites but he doesn't seem to have any bugs on him, no spots or eggs, just the crusty white 'dandruff and rock clumps of it. Do I just not see it or is it something else? Had my husband take the pictures while I held Crazin; hope they are clear enough.

Still looks like some picking going on there.
I'd try applying some coconut oil to see if that helps heal the skin. Observe to see if the hens are picking at him and making the condition worse, if they are, separate him out until he heals.

I know the girls do groom him, and my OG hens are ALWAYS right there with him so I will try to see how aggressive their preening is. Whatever's going on with him is definitely worse than it was the first time I posted. I inspected him for at least 20 minutes today trying to find anything that looked like a bug/mite/lice but couldn't find anything. I will try getting some better pictures tomorrow.

Crazin is literally the reason I have chickens in the first place, all my chickens after him were for him.... (I love them all but you know what I mean) I am desperate to make sure he beats whatever this is, I am just hoping I am worrying for nothing. I will try to pick up some coconut oil tomorrow morning.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom