Weird crust around mouth and dandruff on a Cockerel Ayam and a black silkie?

Dean21

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2023
Background:
I have 10 pullets and 5 cockerels. All are about 6 months now. Got them all at the same time when they were 2-3 weeks old so couldn't have guessed there would be so many males. For the most part, they all get along and have created their own heirachy with the polish cockerel as head honcho. The rest follow suit.

Situation:
1) They are now non-stop crowing
2) 1 Ayam cockerel has been outcast. Sleeps alone and outside the coop. He tries to enter, but all the others just chase him away. His comb is at half-mast and falling over and he has crust around his mouth, and has white dandruff around his neck. (see pics)
3) Black silkie (potentially another cockerel, but hasn't crowed or been agressive. He/she is a happy member of the flock, but i noticed the same white dirt particles (or is it mites/not sure). the silkie does not have crust or crum around his beak

Guidance needed:
1) are either of these two sick and what can i do to help them get better

What i've done:
I've created food and water dispensers around my yard so that the outcast Ayam can eat/drink. I've supplemented it with vitamins (poultry drench, rooster booster).
I've also rubbed red mite dusts onto both the silkie and ayam's bodies. Per the box, it says that it will eliminates mites and lice. I just did that yesterday 1 time

Other potentially pertinant info:
Poop is normal
activity is normal, they are not lethargic or anything

Biggest visual anomoly are:
1) Ayam's crust around beak
2) Ayam's comb is floppy
3) Ayam is not allowed to around the flock, courtesy of the other roosters
4) Both Ayam and Silkie have this white dandruff around their necks and beak

I'm just not sure what to do. I feel like i should do something more, but not sure. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

**I ordered a magnifying glass so i can see better the white dirt/dandruff/mites/lice??? Will update once that comes. I will say that with just the eye, i dont see anything moving

1693508786512.jpeg

1693508669795.jpeg

1693508679070.jpeg

1693508689815.jpeg

1693508796706.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you recently feed some mash or yoghurt? The whitish flakes on the cemani look like dried feed residue.
Maybe just take a towel with warm water and gently rub it off.

The whitish stuff in the Silkies beard could be feed residue as well or some fly or lice eggs or similar.

Grab them from the roost at night and inspect closely to see what you are dealing with, then proceed with the appropriate treatment.

Did you recently feed some mash or yoghurt? The whitish flakes on the cemani look like dried feed residue.
Maybe just take a towel with warm water and gently rub it off.

The whitish stuff in the Silkies beard could be feed residue as well or some fly or lice eggs or similar.

Grab them from the roost at night and inspect closely to see what you are dealing with, then proceed with the appropriate treatment.
Are you saying to go into the coop at night and grab the silkie or Ayam...so i can inspect the white spots. If i understand correctly, these could be the eggs of bugs that are active at night. So during the day, i wouldn't see the bugs, just the eggs. but at night, i will see both?

Are you saying to go into the coop at night and grab the silkie or Ayam...so i can inspect the white spots. If i understand correctly, these could be the eggs of bugs that are active at night. So during the day, i wouldn't see the bugs, just the eggs. but at night, i will see both?
Grabbing them from the roost at night for inspection and/or treatment will be much easier than chasing them down during the day to catch them.

Last edited:
I have 10 pullets and 5 cockerels.
That is 4 cockerels too many that need rehoming.
They are now non-stop crowing
Cowing contest and probably mating contest as well which will wear the pullets out real soon.
I'm just not sure what to do. I feel like i should do something more, but not sure. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Apart from treating the birds and the coop for lice and mites, I suggest to choose one cockerel for you flock and rehome the others ASAP.

If you don't have a specific preference for breeding purposes, you could let the pullets pick the one they like best as they will have to live and put up with him.

The ongoing stress in your flock caused by too many hormonal cockerels will lead to health issues, already starting with the Cemani and Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom