Week 4 of quarantine. White foam Respiratory issues,Round Worms now wattles turning black.

JourneymanSun

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2013
South Eastern Montgomery Co. Pa
So I’m having a tough time here. Got this boy four weeks ago. He was in bad shape. I thought he was kept in a pig pen prior to him becoming mine.
- First two days -1 week point of his time with me
He was riddled with parasites, lice and mites. I started feeding him scrambled egg with garlic alone with vitamin water with some ACV. He had a gurgling and snored along with heavy white mucus accompanied by a nasty stench gaping. Took for days before he started crowing

-Week two he started eating more but just dumping worms. I started him on Pancur. Appetite was day to day same with crowing. One day yes two days not .. still mucus, gape and respiratory symptoms. Worms in stool was diminishing. Eating slowed drastically by end of week.
-Week three not seeing any worms but poop is white/watery with super dark green almost black. Not eating/drinking much at all. Been offing every food choice under the sun. Started tune feeding once a day.
-Week 4- Lot of standing fluffed up, eyes closed lethargic. Comb and wattles looked to be getting darker spots. Eating a little more than last week but barely. Still feed once a day. He will eat green grapes now.
-I started him on Ammoxicillan To try and get rid of the foam sneezing,lethargy, a possible infection from all the worms. Hes not crowing this week. Today is day two of antibiotics. The mouth foam has ended. Still lethargic .
Not sure how long and if he will bounce back. He was more active before the wormer. But definitely infested with parasites. No more parasites mucus has subsided. Now the blackened wattles has me concerned. I’ll be continuing the amoxicillin treatment. I have Tylan/Doxycycline mix but read it decreases the effectiveness of amoxicillin so I’ve just been administering the Amoxicillin 2x daily.

IMG_6698.jpeg
Week three. Eyes closed a lot feathers ruffled, white slime/foam, sneezing still.

IMG_6723.jpeg
Week 4 day three. -The black wattle. Looks bruised not sure what is cause. Notice comb is darkining. Day three of color change , 2nd day of Amoxicillin.

Any help , advice, suggestions. Please and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 9
Oh, I'm so sorry he's struggling. I'm no expert so don't rely on me, but apparently they can decline due to overload of now-dead parasites in their system?

From this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-deworming-chicken-cause-loss-of-appetite.1424518/

It's probably due to toxic dead worm overload. Give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple days and she how she does. Dont give yogurt.

What did you use for a de-wormer?

I would focus on getting her hydrated first, it's good that she's drinking a bit. Electrolytes for a few hours may be helpful or you can direct dose her with poultry vitamins then provide plain water.
Once she's drinking well, then try the rice and buttermilk or you can give her a little wet feed with bits of scrambled egg to entice her.

Hope you start to see some improvement soon.

I didn't know this about deworming, but obviously it had to be done. Also I can't know for sure this is why he is so poorly post-treatment, but it's a possible cause.

You'll get better replies soon. All my best wishes that your sweet rooster is a fighter and pushes through. You are a kind soul to take on such a difficult case!

@Eggcessive hope you don't mind me tagging you for a look!

Good on you for taking care of him. You’ve given him a second chance. He’s really pretty too.

I wonder about his crop. You mentioned an odor which is definitely a sign of sour crop. I’m no expert though.

If it seems like he completely loses his will to live then I would consider putting him down. Chickens are incredibly tough but that only goes so far. I will say that he still looks like he has fight in him even from the pictures.

How many days of Panacur did he get and how much? Dosage for capillary and gapeworms, which are harder to treat is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. Has he already been around other chickens? Hopefully, he hasn’t brought a respiratory disease with him. That can make the whole flock infected and carriers. Tylosin is good for MG, but amoxicillin is not the best for that. Is his crop empty by early morning?

How many days of Panacur did he get and how much? Dosage for capillary and gapeworms, which are harder to treat is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. Has he already been around other chickens? Hopefully, he hasn’t brought a respiratory disease with him. That can make the whole flock infected and carriers. Tylosin is good for MG, but amoxicillin is not the best for that. Is his crop empty by early morning?
He’s been solo since coming here. 6 days of .5 gram of pancur powder. He did not like the taste of that crap not sure if the worms leaving or the pancur beat him up.
There’s nothing in his crop. Since the wormer treatment he no longer wants/cares to eat much. Almost as if he’s can’t get it down.

I am only familiar with the dosage of 10% of fenbendazole, the type in SafeGuard or Pancur horse paste or the liquid goat wormer. Does your powder have 220 mg per gram? The 10% wormer has 100 mg per ml. Of those, an 8 pound rooster would get 2 ml or 200 mg for 5 consecutive days. Hopefully he will begins eating, but he does need to drink water. Egg scrambled with a little water, canned tuna or salmon, or ground meat would possibly tempt him to eat.

Here’s a shot of the wormer. 222mg/gram. 1gram/10#. He was 4 1/2# so he got a 1/2 gram for 5 days.
Things were rather bleak this weekend.I noticed somewhat of a rebound Monday, he got vocal in the am and has begun to eat on his own. Tuesday still eating, more activity,vocal eating/drinking. Still administering Amoxicillin @ 300mg daily /150mg every 12hours. No signs of mucus/white slim.

-Wednesday March 20th vocal,active,eating and drinking. His comb is changing back to red same with his wattles. The swelling and blackness is receding.No longer gasping for air or doing the gape thing. There is a pinkish nasal discharge. Today is day five of antibiotics, plan to continue the Amoxicillin for complete seven day cycle.

- Wednesday
He has bounced back, but not out of the woods yet. Wormer instructions are to administer a second 5 day regiment for reinfection from eggs etc. I’m wondering if it be best to do the pancur or switch up wormers to a Piperazine or Ivermectin .?.? I’m not quite sure if it was the severity of the parasitic infection or the pancur. The amoxicillin definitely got him past the secondary infections.

-When he arrived -till day 3 of antibiotics his stools had a terrible death/septic odor some what like a tar/oil refinery smell. The smell of death is gone. Mostly firm now with occasional diarrhea.

-My fear is after getting this dude back on this side of the grass. Do I introduce him to the flock or does he live out the rest of his life in “solidarity” my intentions weren’t to give him a Val of celibacy . I have no intentions to introducing him anytime soon. He would need to show no signs/symptoms for a good six weeks.

There’s two photos of what’s been included in nasal discharge. Is that a dead worm 🪱 ??

Attachments

• IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg