Does deworming chicken cause loss of appetite?

BeakerTheBantam

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Hi! I dewormed my bantam yesterday. She excrete maybe 3-5 live worms the whole day. Then when I woke up I notice from her poop that there are lots of dead worms. She also got like a reddish mucus in her poop.
The unusual is she's not active and does not wanna eat or drink. She looks so tired and sick right now and only sits in one place.
Is it because of the dewormer? Is she in pain right now? What can I give her?

Last edited:
Hi! I dewormed my bantam yesterday. She excrete maybe 3-5 live worms the whole day. Then when I woke up I notice from her poop that there are lots of dead worms. She also got like a reddish mucus in her poop.
The unusual is she's not active and does not wanna eat or drink. She looks so tired and sick right now and only sits in one place.
Is it because of the dewormer? Is she in pain right now? What can I give her?
It's probably due to toxic dead worm overload. Give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple days and she how she does. Dont give yogurt.

It's probably due to toxic dead worm overload. Give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple days and she how she does. Dont give yogurt.
I already tried giving her white rice but she wont take it. Is there anything I can put in her water cos she's drinking a bit.

What did you use for a de-wormer?

I would focus on getting her hydrated first, it's good that she's drinking a bit. Electrolytes for a few hours may be helpful or you can direct dose her with poultry vitamins then provide plain water.
Once she's drinking well, then try the rice and buttermilk or you can give her a little wet feed with bits of scrambled egg to entice her.

Hope you start to see some improvement soon.

What did you use for a de-wormer?

I would focus on getting her hydrated first, it's good that she's drinking a bit. Electrolytes for a few hours may be helpful or you can direct dose her with poultry vitamins then provide plain water.
Once she's drinking well, then try the rice and buttermilk or you can give her a little wet feed with bits of scrambled egg to entice her.

Hope you start to see some improvement soon.
I used Wormal tablet.

I made a diy probiotic just in case i might need it. Can I give her that to her water?

Just to add another info, I checked her crop the morning after I dewormed her and it did not emptied. Its not big, but is squishy.
And her poop looks like this 👇👇
IMG20201023122802.jpg
IMG20201023133337.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20201023133337.jpg
    IMG20201023133337.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20201023122802.jpg
    IMG20201023122802.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20201023133337.jpg
    IMG20201023133337.jpg
  • IMG20201023133337.jpg
    IMG20201023133337.jpg
Last edited:
Hi! Just an update.

It's lunch time here. I tried feeding her white rice and her feed that I wet a lil bit but she didnt ate. But she loved the white bread. I just gave her a tiny piece.

Is white bread okay for her condition rn? Her poop still looks the same.

Back
Top Bottom