Duck injured leg

MS_pond

Chirping
Dec 7, 2023
Is there anything else I can be doing for my injured duck?

A week ago one of my 8wk old muscovies had somehow gotten injured inside the duck house overnight. She will not place any weight on her right leg and her right hock is significantly swollen.

1000006746.jpg
1000006745.jpg

After a day of no improvement I took her to the vet who found no broken bones or slipped tendon. Just a sprain or something? I've felt around myself and the Achilles seems like it's going through the back of the joint like it should, though I admit I have no experience with slipped tendon.

I've been letting her hang out with her fellow ducks. She swims around with them in the pond and when she's not swimming she'll scooch onto the bank and stay put. They all hang out in and around the pond all day.

I've been making sure she eats regularly. Giving her 5mg children's motrin once or twice a day. Carrying her to and from the duck house in the morning and evening since she cannot manage the trip by herself.

No improvement seen in the past week since she was injured. Is this timeframe normal for a sprain? Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Thank you.

Yes, they eat purina 19% duck food and I supplement their drinking water with B complex using the metzer dosage guideline. I slip the injured duck a bit extra when I medicate her

What the difference between Metzers and BYC's dose?
this link shows what most of us go by
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
It was in that thread somewhere. 500mg niacin per 4gal of water. I add a little extra (adds out to be ~600 mg per 4 gallons) since they are still growing and furthermore not spending all their time around their drinking jug anymore, so i strengthen it to help make sure they are getting their daily minimum. This is on top of the niacin in their feed formulated for ducks

If mine I would be giving her a dose by mouth daily just so you know she is getting just what she needs for her age. While she is injured and a week after she isn't. Then go back to in the water since water dilutes it.

Do you know how to give meds by mouth we have info if you don't.
I do, in fact you're the one who linked me a crop feeder I can buy, which I did :) I have it on hand if I need it. You probably don't remember because you help so many people and ducks on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom