Just got back from grocery store...

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
YIKES! I shop at Aldi's ( think a store with NOTHING but their own generic brand). You can't get EVERYTHING there but most stuff. They carry the snacky stuff, pre packaged sides,most dairy a small priduce, a small amt of meats, and a small amount of frozen foods. The whole store is 3 or 4 aisles.

An example would be their brand cereal (froot loops , frosted flakes etc) for 1.69 for same size box at walmart which would be in the $3 range.

They were UNBEATABLE in the milk/sugar/flour/bread/produce stuff.

Well while there was no difference on price in their prepackaged stuff. OMG the dairy was HIGH. Last year we paid 2.69- 2.89 on Milk. This time it was 3.19!!! The flour and sugar had gone up too.

The bagged cheese (real chese) was 2.69 now 2.99.

Butter had been 2.29 not 2.69.

YEa dairy had gone up the most.

My DH works for a competeing grocery store and brings home all the bargains from there. He said milk at his store is 3.69 a gallon!! I'm pretty savvy on the cutting the grocery bill but WOW! Tested him how much dairy had gone up he said WAIT the packaged stuff will be higher next time!

Is everyone seeing an uptick in Dairy especially?

I had looked at the price for dry powdered milk in years past but it did NOT beat the Aldi's price. May look at that again for cooking but I bet IT too has gone up. Makes dairy goats look appealing, as the chickens/eggs HAVE changed our menus in the last few years since we've had chickens.

what is everyone else seeing?

I just paid $2.48 for a gallon of milk at Marcs.Going to Aldi's today and I hope it isn't $3.19,or I will try Marcs again. I too have noticed prices jumping up 5 to 25 cents on products.Thankfully they are not making the products smaller(already did that last year).With gas prices it does not always help to run store to store for the bargins.

Yes all dairy is going up. I work for a cheese factory and the milk we buy has gone up around 10 to $13.00 per hundered pounds of milk.

For 1% milk it is average 2.89 a gallon.

I hate Aldi's because I live between two of them. If I go to one the milk is 2.59. If I go to the other it is 1.69 for the same milk. I hate to go to the cheaper on because there is nothing else around it. If I go to the other one I can shop in more stores for other bargins.

Last edited:
Everything is gettin sky high. I stopped at wal mart today and got 3 boxes of cereal, a jar of miracle whip, and a 12 pack of tp. It was over $35.00!

I don't buy much dairy because dairy sadly does not like me. I buy Silk and that seems to have stayed consistent in price about $2.50 for a half gallon. It makes sense that milk and dairy is up because corn has been going through the roof on the commodity market. And it is expected to go higher.
What I have noticed that cereal is unbelievably expensive. Every time I got to get a box the price jumps up 25 cents. Of course this makes sense too but still I wonder how in the world people with kids can even afford to feed them cereal at the price they have to pay for a small box!
Meats also are more expensive. I'm thinking about raising up some more Cornish Broilers but with fall/winter around the corner I have to plan that out really carefully. It would be cheaper for me to raise my own chicken compared to what they charge you in the markets. The last time I got a "broiler" from the market, it was a scrawny little thing that I paid almost $7 bucks for it. I think it was a 4.5# chicken-maybe.

We rarely eat cereal here and even if I did (I do like eating Honey bunches once in a while) I would hesitate to pay $3.50 per box. I eat a lot of rice and bread. There's an Orowheat bakery outlet near my workplace so driving home I could pick up a few loaves. Sometimes I get 4 kinds of bread (the good stuff too, like whole wheat) for less than $7 and I freeze the loaves I'm not going to use within the week. I don't eat much beef so we mostly pick up pork or chicken. I don't drink milk and I rarely drink Lactaid which is still expensive, but I like getting calcium and all that good stuff from yogurt or cheese. I go to Costco and we pick up the big block of Tillamook which lasts about 3 weeks (for a $9 block of cheese).

Some states still have sales tax on food. When I lived in Chicago I was always dreading going to the checkout line because they would have more than 9% sales tax on food which I was not used to, living in California since I was a kid. But even then I was able to find some cheaper grocery stores, not to mention it was only me and my SO living together so we did not have to buy a lot of food. We bought less food but they were of better quality.

Last edited:
I'm really lucky in that the store I shop at has a good selection of reduced items in every department, and there are shelves by a set of double doors that are stocked with dented cans and crushed boxes. Everything is cut to at least half price. I often find gallons of milk for $1 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I'll buy 2-3 and put them in the freezer. Then there are the deli ends of cheese and meat. Not usually labeled but you can pretty much guess what it is. One thing that I rarely find marked down, and is going sky high, is ordinary potato chips. A good sized bag now is around $5!

Back
Top Bottom