Just got hen from auction with massive tumor? Help

I gave her warm bath and used preperation h and felt inside flap but there was no egg whatsoever that I could feel. I think its a tumor. It is hard on bottom but softer like fluid on top. Right between her legs. Crazy part is she was like that when i bought her. She came with 3 somewhat healthy underweight hens and had to buy as package. Ya it was 252 to take her to vet and have them put her under and pull out egg, which i dont think it is now. I have looked all over online and cant find same problem with any other chicken

Try, gently, to palpate soft area closest to abdominal wall - if it "feels" as if this "growth" extends into abdomen (like rupture) then it's probably best to let it be. However, if the hard area is very well defined (hard like a rock) with no "squishiness" at all (feels like little but stretched out skin just above "tumor" - wt. of tumor having led to pendulous appearance/feel), then it might be possible to remove growth with ligature (betadine soaked yarn an overhand knot and pull tight until tumor is "cut" off), then steri-strip opening in skin and keep area disinfected until healed. It goes without saying that if there is any "plumbing" that is pinched off along with "tumor", then she'll probably not make it.

Does she just have a pendulous crop? I can't tell from the photo exactly where it is. I have a hen with one and it dangles between her legs when it's full.

Does she just have a pendulous crop? I can't tell from the photo exactly where it is. I have a hen with one and it dangles between her legs when it's full. 

That picture does make it look like the lump is on the front, but maybe it's an optical illusion?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom