Just got my Oct 20 Eco, questions on humidity...

mikecoscia

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
North Haledon, NJ
Just got it in the mail yesterday and have it running now to test temps. Temps are around 37.3, still trying to get it perfectly at that .5. Also still waiting on my water wigglers so I can use it with my brisnea spot thermometer and ensure proper interior egg temp.

My problem however is with the humidity, I was told from the individual (Dennis @ wapsiwaterfowl.com) who I purchased my adult call ducks from to keep humidity at 50-55% during incubation and 70% during hatching. Right now with an empty incubator and both wells filled I am at 44% humidity using a Walmart digital hygrometer. Not sure accurate the guy is.

Is there an easy way to bring it up? I thought maybe a sponge but that may bring it up way to high and be more appropriate for hatching.

Looking to hopefully get this up and running this weekend, my hen has already started to lay her next clutch.

I had the same problem. My petco one said 37% and I bought one from walmart and one from radio shack and they both said 51% I even calibrated them all together and they were only off 3 percent from each other, but when I put them back in the bator they all said 37 and the other 2 said 51. So I ended up just going with what Brinsea said on filling one side for first 18 days and 2 wells on the last 3. I guess I will see what happens as this is my first hatch. I am using chicken eggs though, so the humidity is supposed to be lower anyway. Brinsea sells one but its expensive that is supposed to take care of the humidity for you. I figure if I get a bad hatch I will get one. I also live in Seattle, so its pretty humid indoors 63% anyway. Sorry not much help, just wanted you to know I am also lost on what to do, everyone said these are good bators so I am hoping I am being paranoid and just follow the directions

Quote:
I have ECO 20. It runs on the dry side comparing to other bators.

For my chicken eggs I run it with 1 well filled, gives me 30-40 humidity I want until day 18.

I never hatched in it, I switch eggs to separate hatcher, but I heard from others you obviously need to fill 2 wells with water and perhaps use a sponge or a piece of fabric partially submerged in well and exposed to air to increase evaporation area.

There is a tiny hole in the back of the cover which can be used to add water without opening the bator (straw or proper size tubing).

Brinsea sells evaporation pads, but I used something like a really thick paper towel (I think anything that is absorbent might work.) I cut about 4" wide strips and put one long side into one of the water troughs in the bottom. I let the rest of the strip lie on the bottom of the incubator, so it wicks the water and aids in evaporation. For the last three days, I did this on both water troughs and the humidity was 60% or better.

Glad to see more people are buying this bator.
I have chicken eggs in mine, and I just fill the first trough up like the instructions tell me to. I would maybe try some sponges in there to bring the humidity up.

Well I cut a sponge in half and put it in one of the reservoirs. So with the sponge, and both reservoirs filled I am at 51% humidity. I really am going to have to add alot, or spray the eggs come hatching time to get it up to 70%. This is for call ducks by the way.

Now will the humidity go up again once I add the eggs? I'm not going to fill it, prob only going to have 3-4 eggs.

I have the same model Brinsea except it's the advanced 20 with the built in digital read out of temp and humidity (but no attachment to run the humidity for me automatically). So I had the brinsea factory calibrated humidity digital gauge to help monitor.
I hatched chicken eggs. So I wanted the humidity between 35%-45% the first 18 days and then between 55%-65% for hatching.

It's dry where I live so I had both wells 1/2-2/3 full (fuller and they spilled as it rocked) the first 18 days PLUS I had a strip of wash cloth I cut to lay on the bottom of the incubator with one end in the well so it would wick water and increase the evaporation surface. In my climate this kept me at around 42% humidity.

When it got time to hatch I added more strips under the eggs and filled both wells to the top.

I had to also add wet sponges fast by cracking open the lower edge during the last 3 days. The temp and humidity would drop when I did that for less than 1 minute and would rapidly go back to the correct temp and the humidity would quickly go up because of the sponge. This kept me at around 60%. Bigger sponge would get me to 70%. There is also a small hole on the top with two little water drops next to it. You can drip water through this during the hatch (some folks rig this with a small piece of aquarium air hose).
You could put the sponge right under the drip hole I think and keep it moist that way as well. But I didn't do that.

I found I could easily get the humidity wherever I needed to with these methods.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have yet to figure out how to link to threads, so I will quote someone who did it for me. My experiences hatching ducks in this incubator will answer some of your questions, I updated this thread last night with hatch information/pictures.

Quote:
I have yet to figure out how to link to threads, so I will quote someone who did it for me. My experiences hatching ducks in this incubator will answer some of your questions, I updated this thread last night with hatch information/pictures.

Thanks for adding that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom