Just hatched peafoul HELP!!!!!!

TracyRussell

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Muskoka, Ontario
Well to start off we just bought a little hobby farm that came with a peacock and pea hen. The hen dropped 5 eggs, the last one on July 23. Approx a week later a coon killed her and broke 3 of the 5 eggs. I managed to save two eggs and put them in the incubator. Well one hatched last night and I have no idea what to do for this little guy. He looks healthy, peeping and walking fine. What should he be eating right now? Should I try and get another chick of some sort to teach him? Any advice please.

Well to start off we just bought a little hobby farm that came with a peacock and pea hen. The hen dropped 5 eggs, the last one on July 23. Approx a week later a coon killed her and broke 3 of the 5 eggs. I managed to save two eggs and put them in the incubator. Well one hatched last night and I have no idea what to do for this little guy. He looks healthy, peeping and walking fine. What should he be eating right now? Should I try and get another chick of some sort to teach him? Any advice please.

I am new to this too but I have read that it needs to be taught what to do....either by another chick or by you.....shiny rocks in its water bowl will tempt it to drink and wet chick starter on your finger will teach it how to eat if you have to do it yourself...

Don't panic, after hatching they can go for several days without eating or drinking and they will be fine, they will absorb the rest of the now internal egg yolk and live off of that. You need some chick starter medicated with amprolium and a heat lamp to keep the little guy's box/brooder at 95 degrees for the first week( drop temp 5 degrees each week). I put water and slightly moistened feed in glass dishes and then tap them with a fingernail to get chicks interested, I've never had a problem getting them to eat and drink this way. You will want some company for the little one though, otherwise it will cry for you 24/7. If you get another chick for company try to get one that has never been on the ground.

Last edited:
Well good new!!!! The second egg hatched last night. They little guy looks tired but is getting to his feet and chirping. I have moved the other one to a brooder under a lamp to let the new one get his bearings. The older chick seemed to be picking at him a bit. I guess time will tell.

Well good new!!!! The second egg hatched last night. They little guy looks tired but is getting to his feet and chirping. I have moved the other one to a brooder under a lamp to let the new one get his bearings. The older chick seemed to be picking at him a bit. I guess time will tell.

Excellent!
ya.gif
Now they will have each other for company. Don't worry about that pecking, they all do it. The minute the newer one is strong enough to peck back, it will, and then they will learn to respect each other's boundaries. Since they only have each other, they will bond and you shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

oh wow these 2 little chicks are like having twin newborns!!!!!! lol Both seem to be doing ok, and are getting spoiled to the max. They will no doubt have to stay in the house over the winter as we wont have anything in the barn to warm it until spring. So here is to 2 great danes, 1 weird cat and 2 peacocks chicks living in da house!!!!! Should be interesting

Well the babies have made it to week 3 !!!!!!!!!! Now I need some guidance with their care. When should I start introducing different kinds of food? I am getting the to roost on a branch in there cage,they seem to like it. I have having trouble when I try to turn their light off for a bit. They peep and grumble and cry until I turn it back on. Is this normal? Any advice is much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom