Just want to get this right!! Sebastopol goslings and runner ducklings

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
Shipment of 3 Sebastopol goslings and 2 runner ducklings will arrive end of month from Metzers. In addition, 2 mixed goslings and 7 runner ducklings are cooking in the kitchen incubator and should hatch around the same time. I've read tons of posts about feed and was wondering if this will work..,,,

Mazuri Waterfowl Starter for first few weeks until feathers start coming in. Then switch to Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance. (I did the chick feed route before, just don't feel like mixing niacin and want to give best and easiest start possible. Also, other adult waterfowl now all eating Dumor, but will probably switch everyone to Mazuri late spring).

Questions:
1. Will the newly hatched runner ducklings be able to eat the mini-pellets (or will they need to be crushed)?
2. Will this plan work for the Sebastopols to avoid the dreaded angel wing and leg issues?
3. In adddition to grass and greens, are there any other things that should be given to the new Lings and at what age?
4. Is there a tried and true plan that is considerably better?

I've never hatched eggs before and the first batch are on day ten. When I candle them it is such a great feeling to see the new life growing in their perfect shells. I am sooo excited!!!!!!

I do an organic duckling feed for the first week or two and then switch to the Mazuri (with water). Their beaks are so tiny that I think they can handle the mash better at the start. If you want to be on the safe side, have liquid b complex on hand and mix it into their peas or greens to completely avoid leg issues. Every bird is a bit different, I’ve had some that needed the extra vitamin boost where others didn’t.

Angel wing is protein based, I’m on mobile so can’t 100% confirm but it’s like around week 4-6 you want to drop protein from 18/20% down to 16%.

Also the size difference between the Mazuri starter pellets and maintenance is big, so you might want to make that switch when the babes are at the right size for it. Even then my adults prefer the starter size and stick their beaks up at the maintenance 😂

I do an organic duckling feed for the first week or two and then switch to the Mazuri (with water). Their beaks are so tiny that I think they can handle the mash better at the start. If you want to be on the safe side, have liquid b complex on hand and mix it into their peas or greens to completely avoid leg issues. Every bird is a bit different, I’ve had some that needed the extra vitamin boost where others didn’t.

Angel wing is protein based, I’m on mobile so can’t 100% confirm but it’s like around week 4-6 you want to drop protein from 18/20% down to 16%.

Also the size difference between the Mazuri starter pellets and maintenance is big, so you might want to make that switch when the babes are at the right size for it. Even then my adults prefer the starter size and stick their beaks up at the maintenance 😂
Thanks! At week 3-4 what brand feed do you switch them to or do you mix starter feed with oatmeal and other grains to reduce protein???

Thanks! At week 3-4 what brand feed do you switch them to or do you mix starter feed with oatmeal and other grains to reduce protein???
I switch to Mazuri starter and then add oats in once I need the protein to drop. This is where I found adding water to be crucial, some birds might just pick out the oats or the Mazuri, but if it’s all mixed with water there wasn’t an issue.

I switch to Mazuri starter and then add oats in once I need the protein to drop. This is where I found adding water to be crucial, some birds might just pick out the oats or the Mazuri, but if it’s all mixed with water there wasn’t an issue.
I like that plan. Do you use oatmeal oats from a grocery store or horse oats like the 50 pound bags they sell at Tractor Supply?

I've seen numerous discussions on oat types. My adult ducks and geese will not eat the rolled oats that are in chicken scratch.

I like that plan. Do you use oatmeal oats from a grocery store or horse oats like the 50 pound bags they sell at Tractor Supply?

I've seen numerous discussions on oat types. My adult ducks and geese will not eat the rolled oats that are in chicken scratch.
I used regular grocery store oats, I’ve never come across a definitive answer on that either. There’s a feed calculator by Garden Betty that helped me figure out ratios when I would batch out their dry mix.

Just got a reply about Mazuri Waterfowl Starter and runner ducklings:
1646776867979.png

Manna Pro duckling starter crumbles seems to NOW be my best option. Gotta love when a long, thought out plan gets flushed down toilet.

Unless there is better option, Manna Pro then generic grocery store oatmeal plus the duckling starter a couple of weeks later.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If you’re getting it from TSC they have Natures Best Organic Duckling Crumbles, it’s lower in protein than the Manna Pro.
Yeah, 18% protein would probably work, but wanted the 20-22% since it will be for both ducklings and goslings. This Natures Best would be awesome from 2 or so weeks of age BUT, Tractor Supply only carries 5 pound bags and with 9 ducklings and 5 goslings, the bag won't last long.
Never realized how complicated food decisions for these tiny creatures could be!

:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy 17 days my little runners should be up and running! Oh Boy!

Back
Top Bottom