Just watching one of my girls having a dustbath

DaveTaunton

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Taunton, England
And while she's doing her thing, another one has gone up to her, started pecking her (I'm assuming it's gently, she isn't making pained noises or anything) and scratching by her, literally RIGHT by her, is this normal?

Thanks
smile.png

Oh, my gosh, yes! My chickens scratch right up next to one another, lay on top of each other (often one will lay on another one's head), kick dirt all over each other, wallow, and peck bits of dirt and leaves and whatnot off of each other.
It's part of the joys of my day when I see my chickens on cloud nine, completely relaxed and out of it in their "dirt crater" that they've dug out for themselves.

This was initially to be a flower bed - you see who runs the backyard now.
wink.png

When one of my girls hunkers down for a bathing, all of a sudden everyone else wants in on the action. My other ladies will come up and lay next to her in a pile or try to move into her spot by pecking or scratching. Sounds perfectly normal
smile.png

Chicken Pileup!

I love watching my girls taking their dirt baths. They get so twisted around and sideways I'm surprised they're not dizzy when they eventually get up. All mine are the same breed so it's near impossible to count them when they are all piled up together.

Ours take lots of dust baths. They especially love the tree wells where the soil is somewhat moist. They scratch, kick and fluff and then several others will join in. It's hilarious. We call it chicken day spa :)

Back
Top Bottom