Just wondering

Gma C

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
If nothing happens can you make a small peck in the egg to get them started? I’d read somewhere that if they have trouble you can use tweezers to pull the shell back but not poke the inner part. Just wondering. Not doing this unless it’s ok but didn’t know. Didn’t know if it’d be like helping a dog deliver.

If nothing happens can you make a small peck in the egg to get them started? I’d read somewhere that if they have trouble you can use tweezers to pull the shell back but not poke the inner part. Just wondering. Not doing this unless it’s ok but didn’t know. Didn’t know if it’d be like helping a dog deliver.
If nothing happens can you make a small peck in the egg to get them started?
You would only do this if the chick has been internally pipped for ages (like 36 hours) and hasn't made an external pip. It's called a safety hole: candle the egg, determine the location of the chick's beak, make a tiny hole with a pin near where its beak is. This is so the chick can breathe - but usually chicks make the hole independently within 12 - 36 hours of internally pipping.
I’d read somewhere that if they have trouble you can use tweezers to pull the shell back but not poke the inner part.
If they are having trouble zipping (like they start making heaps of cracks but then stop) then this would be useful - but it must be done very carefully, as outlined in the article nuthatched posted above.
I hope all goes well with your hatch :)

Back
Top Bottom